34

xxxiv

xxxiv. HER SOULMATE

Azalea Montez |

AZALEA HAD WOKEN UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, UNABLE TO FALL BACK ASLEEP. She was completely trapped in Derek's secure hold while he seemed to be in a deep sleep. She carefully turned around without waking him but he unconsciously tightening his arm around her as if he could feel her moving away. Her eyes scanned his resting face, taking note in how incredibly peaceful and content he appeared. This was what she wanted. Peace and happiness with him. Where they didn't have anything weighing them down and getting in the way.

She knew she couldn't be without him. It was too hard for her. Going back to the community was something she didn't want. It wasn't good for her despite being with Derek and by his side. The only thing she could be worrying about and focusing on is graduation from college. Not aiding Derek in leading an entire pack and community of wolves. It was utterly crazy to her, especially since she was human. The humans in the pack got to do normal things... so why couldn't she?

She sighed, running her fingers through her hair before carefully moving out of Derek's arms. Which was more of an obstacle to do as he only pulled her back into his chest, his legs tangling with hers. Somehow she managed to do so without waking him. It felt like a miracle to her that he didn't wake up.

She stole a glance at his resting face before exiting the room. She made her way into the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator. She took a sip of her water which seemed to relax her a little bit.

Her eyes looked out the window above the sink watching the still water. It was strangely comforting to be back in Jacksonville, despite the horrible few days without Derek. Then it was even more comforting when he came. With nothing to worry about except each other. That was all bound to end the moment they went back to Beacon Hills.

She tensed when arms snaked around her waist from behind. She quickly relaxed upon seeing Derek, finding it adorable to see his hair messy and a tired pout on his face. "I couldn't sleep and I didn't want to wake you." She murmured leaning back into his chest.

"What's on your mind baby?" He asked softly.

"Nothing important." She tried brushing it off. But he knew better.

"You can tell me." He mumbled. "It's okay."

She released a shaky breath, holding back the cries that wanted to pour out of her. "I really don't want to go back to the community, Derek. But I know I can't be without you, it hurts too much to even think about being apart."

"I don't want you to feel like you're being forced to come back to a place that's making you unhappy." His wolf was crying inside of him. He certainly didn't want to force her to come back to the community where she may end up resenting him and being unhappy. Her happiness is what's most important to him.