27

xxvii

xxvii. DON'T SAY GOODBYE

Azalea Montez |

WITH A TEAR STAINED FACE AND BLOODSHOT BURNING EYES, AZALEA LAID CURLED UP IN HER BED. She hasn't seen Derek since yesterday and as much as she hated to admit it, being apart from him was taking its toll on her. She felt sick to her stomach, uneasy as she replayed the argument between them in her head. It confused her because when they're on good terms, it didn't hurt being apart from him. But when they weren't okay, it not only hurt but made her feel sick.

"Well you look like hell." David's voice pulled her from her from her poisonous thoughts. "Not as bad as when you were home for the first time since you met Derek."

She winced at the memory, "Shut up."

"Too soon?" He questioned scratching the back of his neck. He gulped when she glared at him, her glare being almost as scary as Derek's. No wonder they're mates. "Too soon then. Okay! Perfectly fine, we will not talk about it."

"I just want this stupid Xavier situation to be over with so everything can go back to normal. I can go back to school and I can finally have a chance to be happy with Derek." She whispered in a raspy voice, her throat sore from all the crying she's done the entire day.

David frowned at her, "Trust me, we all want the problem to be done with. We want this community safe like it used to be and we want Derek to relax."

"I feel like I'm making things harder for him." She admitted, sitting up in her bed and leaning against the frame.

"I'm not gonna lie: you contributed to making some things hard for him. All the others are either his doing or the whole thing with Xavier. But don't feel guilty. Sooner or later everything will be okay." He reassured her, taking a seat on the edge of her bed and giving her a warm smile.

The corners of her lips curled the smallest bit, "Thank you, David."

"Don't thank me. I'm your best friend. That's why I'm here." He told her causing her a smile a little bigger. "And I'm also here to tell you to go see him. The more you fight it the harder it'll be to stay away from him."

"Yeah I think I've learned that by now." She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

He sighed, "Azalea, the bond is pushing you to him because you guys aren't in good terms so you don't feel at ease."

"I said something hurtful to him, David. He looked more hurt than ever. He probably doesn't even want to see me." She mumbled, pulling the sleeves of her shirt down and staring at the comforter.