61

LXI

LXI. NEW CHAPTERS

derek hale |

WITH A WIDE BEAMING SMILE, DEREK WATCHED AS A GROUP OF KIDS RACED EACH OTHER IN ONE OF THE TRAINING YARDS OF THE COMMUNITY. his eyes were shining brightly as he watched over them in excitement while also being cautious for their safety. seeing these young kids train with each other while having fun and laughing joyfully brought such a state of peace to derek. they were all so full of youth and innocence, it was very refreshing for derek to see after everything that's happened.

his mind then shifted to azalea wondering if she's okay. she's been doing a lot more better the last few weeks though still slightly distant. he tried to be okay with the bit of distance but he was rather stubborn which made it hard for him to be okay with it. she started burying herself into her school work again and hadn't been attached to him like he wanted her to be. the only time they really ever got to see each other is really in the late evening and when they go to bed. this was driving derek crazy but he kept it together so he wouldn't overwhelm her. he hated how needy and pathetic he sounded but he didn't care.

"alpha hale?" a small voice asked making the former leader of the pack turn to see a young boy, looking up at him with wide innocent eyes.

he knelt down so he was more level with him, "yes buddy?"

"is it true you gave up being leader of the pack?" he asked shyly finding it hard to keep contact with the alpha.

"i didn't necessarily gave up on being leader, i just made the decision to pass everything over to scott." derek explained gently to the boy, giving him a small smile to make him feel more comfortable.

"does that mean you're going to leave the pack?"

"no," he shook his head. "i'm still going to be around like before. i still have some power but everything is now under scott."

"how come you gave everything to scott? my mom and dad said you loved being the leader, and that you were the strongest alpha they've seen." the boy told derek.

"sometimes there will be one thing that changes everything forever, especially for the best." derek told him, a smile crossing onto his face when he thought of azalea. "when you get older you'll be able to see what i mean."

he gave a shy laugh, leaning closer to derek as he whispered, "like your girlfriend?"

"yes," derek laughed. "my girlfriend."

"lucas!" a mother's voice called making the boy's eyes widen as if he had be caught.

"i'm guess you ran off from home?" derek raised his eyebrows as lucas nodded in sheer embarrassment. "c'mon. i'll walk you home buddy."