62

LXII

LXII. HER WOLF

derek hale |

DEREK STOOD ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROOM FROM AZALEA, WATCHING HER LAUGH WITH ALLISON AND LYDIA. he'd been watching her for the past ten minutes, keeping a close eye on her as she talked with the girls. most of the community was gathered in the party room as derek would be announcing his step down from leader of the pack. his nerves were all over the place and a part of him felt guilty. the longest time he's been leader and in charge of this incredibly community he created. he shouldn't feel guilty for moving forward but he did. he didn't want the people to feel like he's giving up.

when azalea looked over in his direction to catch him staring at her, he sent her a wink which made her smile widely. she blew him a kiss before lydia began dragging her and allison over to the bar. he didn't realize he held such a love struck grin on his face until scott and stiles came over, snapping him out of his trance.

"dude you're like a pathetic puppy." stiles joked, laughing at his words before shuffling behind scott when derek glared at him.

"does she know you're officially stepping down?" scott asked him.

he nodded, finally removing his eyes from azalea, "she knows. i got yelled at but she can finally see this is what i truly want for myself."

"do you really think i'm capable of taking over?" scott asked.

derek nodded, "i honestly do. you'll do fine, scott. you've watched me do it for all these years and worked alongside me. i think you'll do a better job than me if i'm honest."

"you'll still stick around to help me if i need it, right?"

"yes i'll still be around for as long as i can." derek reassured him, searching for azalea again only for her to sneak up behind him and wrap her arms around him. he smiled happily, bringing an arm around her to keep her close to his side. he planted a tender kiss on her temple, burying his nose into her hair and inhaling her scent.

"since it's the weekend, us girls are going clubbing tonight and no you guys do not get a say." lydia said while coming over and giving derek, stiles, and scott narrowed eyed look.

this aggravated derek greatly and he could feel his protective instincts begin to kick in. he glanced down at azalea to see her already looking up at him. by the look on her face and feeling her emotions, he knew she didn't want to go out to a club. and he couldn't blame her. he didn't necessarily want her going either but she was still trying to get better after everything that's happened. he certainly didn't want her away from him at this time.