33

xxxiii

xxxiii. HEARTS BEATING IN SYNC

Derek Hale |

A LOW GROWL RUMBLED FROM DEREK'S CHEST AS HE WAITED FOR DEATON TO CALL HIM BACK. It was very possible for Azalea to be in heat despite her being human. In fact it was fairly obvious to him she was. The instant change in her scent and the reactions she getting... he knew she was. He was glad she wasn't anywhere near the community while in heat. The scent of them being in heat was enough to attract any wolf, mainly unmated ones. His wolf snarled at the thought of someone else being attracted to her in heat.

"How're you feeling?" Derek asked as he leaned against the door frame, gripping onto the knob of the door tightly to keep himself anchored.

Azalea looked over her shoulder to see him looking at her with worry mixed with a look she couldn't decipher. "I'm feeling okay. Not the best. Will this end soon?"

"I–I don't know. I hope so." He mumbled trying to reassure himself. He so badly wanted this to end so she wasn't in pain and so he could hold her in his arms. Keeping his distance was something he didn't want.

"Is whatever I'm going through the reason why you won't come near me?" She asked making him snap his head up at her from her question.

"Yes and no." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I think you're in heat, Azalea, and the scent you're giving off is making my wolf jump with primal desire. It's hard for me to control myself around you like this." He explained, waiting for a horrid reaction or response from her. His phone began ringing in his pocket so he quickly pulled it out to see Deaton calling him.

He went into the living room as he answered the phone, "You better have a good answer because I can't keep my distance from her any longer."

"She's in heat, Alpha Hale. It won't be as strong as a female wolf because she's human but it's enough to awaken your wolf if you know what I'm hinting at." Deaton explained making Derek let out another sigh in frustration. "However if nothing is done about it then she'll be like this for about three to five days."

"Fucking hell." Derek mumbled in annoyance, letting out a huff. He couldn't possibly keep his distance from her for five days. There had to be another way. "What am I supposed to do? I can't leave her alone in heat and it's hard enough keeping control."

"I understand Alpha but at this point this decision is between the two of you. I can't tell you what to do, sir." Deaton told him.

The annoyed Alpha growled, "So basically to make her feel better I need to mate with her?"

"Essentially yes. But because she's human, and because you have not yet marked her, you're not ruining the bonding process. It will however strengthen your connection to each other and make her stronger. The longer she's in this condition, the more strain it's having on her physically. She'll be weak every time you two are apart." Derek inhaled a sharp breath as he listened carefully to everything Deaton was telling him.