21

xxi

xxi. BLOODLUST (pt. 1)

Azalea Montez |

STARING OUT THE WINDOW WITH WORRY, AZALEA WATCHED AS THE COMMUNITY FELL INTO PANIC. She so badly wanted to run out of the clinic and help everyone but she knew if Derek find out, she would never see another day. And Deaton wasn't dumb enough to keep the doors unlocked when he left her here to place mountain ash around the community. Did Derek really have this bad of a hold over everyone?

A loud crash made her flinch and whip around, slowly creeping from the window into the hallway. She took slow steps, her heart racing in her chest while looking around cautiously. She let out a loud gasp when she bumped into a hard chest. She braced herself to be attacked by this intruder, having assumed it was one of those rogues, until large warm hands placed themselves on her waist. The sweet tingling feeling rushed through her making her know who it was. Derek...

"Hey, it's okay. It's just me." He soothed her, pulling her against him tightly and hiding his face into her neck. He inhaled her intoxicating scent to help him calm his wolf before she had to go with Peter. And before he had to go finish every last rogue. "It's going to be okay."

Those words made her snap as her body gave away. Everything suddenly became way too overwhelming for her. She let out a strangled sob as she felt forward into his body, her own shaking and trembling immensely which made him jump into a strong state of worry.

He tightened his arms around her to keep her secure and grounded. As much as it helped, she was too overwhelmed. Too scared. Utterly afraid. Not just of the rogues. But because she knew Derek had to go and fight. She was already filled with fear due to the thought of potentially losing him. He had to come back to her. He just had to. She needed him and was ready to admit it. Her body craved him. So did her heart. He was her mate. My mate...

"Darling, it's okay. It's gonna be okay. I promise. None of them, and I mean absolutely none of them will come near you." He mumbled into her ear, one of his hands rubbing her back up and down soothingly to calm her down. His wolf was growling and clawing at him angrily. He couldn't stand to see her this upset. He could smell her fear and anxiety. It killed him to see her like this. All he wanted was for her to be okay.

"I–you c–can't leave me. Please." She cried, pulling away to look at him with red bloodshot eyes. "Y–you can't go out there."

"Listen to me, I need to go out there. I need to fight alongside the pack. I have to keep the community safe, especially you." He tried to tell her but all she did was shake her head.

She sniffled, "Derek please! I need you with me!"

"You're going far from here until all of this is over. You'll be with Victoria, Peter, and David. They'll keep you and Victoria safe. I'll come get you the second this is all over." He explained, using every ounce of energy not to give into her words. This was the first time she willingly wanted to be with him. Wanted him to be with her. He could see she really needed him. But he had to end this war. For her and for the community.