Papa Nate

Today's the day, he'll find out he'll be a papa. I'm so happy today. I woke up with a bit of a sore back. We stopped three times, for potty breaks just for me and also the kids. Mandy and Raj drove the whole way and wouldn't let me drive at all. I sat playing with Joy who is now one. She has a big girl seat. She loves to rub my baby bump. Mandy, Raj and I made a plan to see Natebefore the families so I could tell him about Nataly. We asked him to wait at a café about 15 minutes away from his house when we called. He wanted to know why and I told him that I want him to meet Nataly. He was confused and asked if he met her at the wedding. I told him he'll see.  It was about lunch when we got near the café. We had called Nate and he sat at the front waiting for us. We went inside and I couldn't see him. Mandy and Raj were behind me and had found him. He came and hugged me from behind whispering that he missed me so much into my ears. Then he stepped back and I slid into the booth and the table hid my belly and so did the jackets – they gave the impression of being just big. Nate slid onto the other side with Mandy and Raj beside us. He asked us where this long saught friend was and I got the envelope out and handed it to him. He gave me a funny face then opened it. Slowly he looked up and said "No, no, wait – how many months is she? And I've been away the whole time?" By now I had gotten up and Nate was in front of me exclaiming to my belly. He pulled me into a kiss right there in front of everyone and  the waitress had brought over a congratulations cake. This was the work of Mandy and Raj. Everyone was clapping and it was just a happy moment. My smile couldn't have been wider. I got a bit emotional and I had tears in my eyes.

The ride was quite tiring. We went to Nate's parents' house. When we arrived the moms were at the door. As soon as they saw me there was exclamation, surprise, kisses and hugs. Soon everyone was outside in the chilly winter air and I was led in by the family. They asked us why I hid it all this time. Just for Nate, so that he could be the first to find out. But everyone was happy. "You couldn't find a better Christmas gift" was what the family said. This is our parents' very first grandchild. Everyone liked the name but they began to think of middle names as well, so let's see about that. I never had a middle name. Once I had the layers off, all I wore was my plain navy blue shirt and you could see the tiny feet on my belly. Sammy wouldn't stop feeling the belly. She kep exclaiming "I'm going to be an aunt!" The moms were busy calling up all of the family. I handed out the printed Christmas cards so they can have a look at her.

Nate was just really happy. I think he wanted this baby more than anyone else. I'm glad I didn't wait to get married so much later. I hope she's healthy when she's out. No one let me do anything at all. All I had to do was sit and watch TV. I had changed into a large t-shirt that bounced off of the bump with a pair of loose fitting shorts.  If I wanted anything at all, everyone was at my beck and call. I got pretty bored but Nate sat with me the whole time. We talked about everything he had missed and I even showed him the pictures I had taken of my baby bump growing. That night, I felt a bit tired after the long drive. After dinner, he walked me upstairs. I had eaten too much without thinking and now my food was coming back up. Nate was so worried. It was just morning sickness but really at night.

I tried to keep my food in while Nate told me about his past few months and we were both getting ready for bed. My parents and sister had gone back to the hotel. I couldn't hold it in and before I could get to the washroom, I had already vomitted and Nate held his hands under my face catching it before a lot of it got on my clothes and the bed sheet. Before the second round came, I ran to the washroom. He cleaned up the bed and had followed me. He had taken a towel and began to wipe my chin and shirt.  I took it from him and wiped away the small bit of vomit I had gotten on his face. We both washed up and changed out of our clothes. Nate's mom had heard the noises and Nate had told her what happened. She came with some sort of drink she made. It took a while to drink it – honestly, it tasted really bad but I finished it with so much probing from Nate. We were just talking when I saw him hesitantly trying to put his hand on the bumpkin. She was kicking again and I knew there were little feet on my belly. I took his hand and placed it there. His face was so funny – it was kind of scared and shocked and then happy all at once.  I was laying on my side and couldn't sit up straight either.

Jake and Ayesha called by skype. They wanted to see Nataly. On the screen, what showed was Nate's head and then my baby bump next to it without my face or body so it looked like a coloured ball. Nate brought the laptop over and the two were surprised I kept it a secret for so long.That's how the week went by. It was slow and I wasn't allowed to do much.