Post-Wedding

We're heading back to Montreal in another two days. We woke up late, I woke up later than Nate. He had ordered lunch and we were leaving to go to my parents' house afterwards. Nate had woken up, had his wash and was ready to leave. He had gone and folded my huge saree for me and everything was placed neatly. All I had to do was wake up, get ready and we were going to Mandy and Raj's room, then to Nate's family. Everyone was awake and they had come by earlier but since we were both sleeping, they went out to brunch together. Mandy and Sammy were asking me how last night was and giving me funny faces. This was all aside and I basically told them what happened – nothing. They thought I was joking but I told them I was being very serious and things didn't happen between us. They asked why. I replied "We were both tired and we have the rest of our lives together to do it." These two wouldn't stop teasing me though. If I had to get up to do something, they'd ask if Nate was going as well.

We all went together back to my parents' place. All the decorations were coming down. A few cousins, aunts and uncles were there. We had dinner before heading back to the hotel. There were jokes, laughter and fun. This is what I love about weddings. That night, my mom teared up about how I'm leaving to be part of another family but really, I've lived away a lot so really no reason to cry.

 The next day, I packed the last few things I hadn't brought back to Montreal. We filled up about three large suitcases. We had one whole suitcase just for our wedding gifts and wedding stuff like my saris, Nate's suits, shoes, jewelry and miscellaneous items. We had three cars and four suitcases. Nare's family, Mandy, Raj and the kids needed their space too. Nate's car – the one we're in – has enough space for about 3 suitcases in the back and  in the trunk. The last one is in Nate's parents' car because they wouldn't take no for an answer and we were already at a tight fit. Today while I was packing, Nate came and slipped his hands around me and turned me over. I smiled and he bent to kiss me. I was propped awkwardly on top of an open suitcase and when he kissed me, I kind of fell in.

 Our sisters who were enjoying their time together came by to see what was up and saw us in a tangle and began to laugh. We both kind of got up awkwardly and Nate excused himself. Our families decided to have a homecoming pary thing at our place. My  parents are booking a hotel nearby. And the morning we return to Montreal, our place will be decorated and we're having a small lunch. We're leaving tomorrow so everything was packed away. The ride will take us a while. Nate's family and my family are going to check in at a hotel. We'll go back home and m and r to their own place. After freshening up, we'l all meet up back at our place and have lunch.

This morning, we woke up at 4 so we can leave at 5. Last night, Nate and I slept together and he had his arm over me in a bit of a protective way. Today, the moms had sandwiches and wraps to take with us and we'll be stopping in another three hours. I drove first so Natecan have a few more hours of sleep. I gave him a morning kiss and he seemed to be quite awake but somehow went back to sleep. When our stop came, he had just woke up. After coffees and bathroom breaks, Nate and I switched. I was reading a book because I can't sleep mid-day. At the coffee stop, our sisters switched our drinks so I ended up getting what Nate was drinking – a very black coffee and he had my french vanilla. I hate just plain coffee so I kind of spit it back out – we switched back. These girls!

Our families went to the hotel, Mandy and Raj with the kids to their place and then we walked into ours. Our neighbours who were this very old couple were gracious enough to water the plants and turn off all the lights for us – we left a pair of keys with them. It was so nice of them to leave a bouquet of flowers and a small note that said congrats. They kept the place really neat. I'm glad we got such great neighbours.

Nate picked me up and we swirled around! While he took his shower, I quickly took my own in the other bathroom, got out a couple chairs, ordered food from a nearby restaurant who will deliver in another half hour, and set the flowers in a vase. I wore a simple blouse with jeans, my natural wavy hair, a pair of long earrings and no makeup – it's just our families. That was it. Nate wore a dress shirt with a pair of dark black jeans.

The first people to show up were my family. My dad was watching TV. My brother was going to be back – he went out to get us some dessert. My mom and sister were wondering why I wasn't dressed up. My mom wore a traditional clothing piece, my sister was rocking a casual dress. Dad had worn a half sleeve dress shirt. My mom was angry! She was complaining about my choice of clothes. "It's your first day back in the house together! You should wear something to please him!"

I found the first saree Nate had seen me in – it was the peachy one I wore to the temple that day. The one with the gold designs. I paired this with some gold jewelry – very simple, just a thin chain with a round golden ball in the middle, my thali, some gold bangles and a pair of long leafy gold earrings and my engagement and wedding rings. By now Mandy came, Joy was asleep so she's in our room right now. Mandy came in and got her brushes out and my face was transformed from tired looking but happy to beautiful creature and happy. I had the hair all sleek and straight, my jewelery set to perfection and I was brought out, all eyes were turned to me. Nate did a bit of a double take. He was talking to dad, my brother and Raj. Nate's family had come after. My brother had brought a cake with congratulations on it. We invited the neihgbours to join us and they decided to skip their elders aerobics class. We had lunch of caesar salad, breaded chicken, Italian bread with a cheese platter. We also had a fruit platter that our neighbours made and some rice with barbequed meats. We cut the cake, took lots of pictures and had a great time. Everyone helped clean up.

 The parents were getting tired. Our moms kind of got out and left to do some shopping and an hour later they show up with some groceries. I was wondering how we were going to finish the food from today – there was a lot left and then they brought some more. They wouldn't let me into the kitchen. When they came, both families had brought huge bouquets which were sitting on our coffee table right now taking up more than half the space. I had taken it to our bedroom. The moms were busy in the kitchen, probably sharing recipes. It was about five, when they were ready to leave. The dads wanted some of what the moms made but they said it was made just for Nate and I. I was kind of confused but okay. Sammy, Mandy and my sister were upto something because they had done something and were laughing about it. They wouldn't tell me either. I wasn't allowed to change out of the saree either so every time I bent I had to place a hand over the cloth to make sure nothing slipped or showed. It's such a fuss to wear it. To the families left, and our neighbours went back to their apartment. Mandy and Raj were still here with the kids. Juan was getting very restless. Joy had woken up and cried. Poor thing! They're both really tired so I told Mandy and Raj they should take the kids home. I packed some dinner for them. I had helped myself to some bread and cheese. Raj and Nate were in our bedroom. Mandy said that I should drink some of the stuff, our moms made for us. I told her I'll have it later but she wouldn't let it be.  She had it prepared. It poured it into two cups and on a platter. I wasn't allowed to go to our bedroom either. She had asked me to watch the kids while she went to get some stuff there. She probably wanted to start help me unpack and I just didn't want to go through that mess.

Joy was sleeping again, the poor baby. I had gone into our bedroom to call Mandy. She was right at the door and wouldn't let me in. Juan was also asleep when they left. It had been a long tiring day.