Day 10

I woke up today and everyone was cleaning and cooking. Nathan's family was coming over today! OH. MY. LAWD. Nathan told me just now. I was so excited but nervous too. They were going to meet us at the temple and then everyone would come home for lunch. I helped clean up, then washed up after a quick breakfast and got dressed in traditional wear.

I borrowed one of Mandy's sarees again today. This one was green and yellow. It had a golden border with pretty gold sequins. Everyone was fussing over each other and I helped get a few people ready. I wore a gold necklace my grandma had given me. It was a chain with a small pendant that had the letter k. I paired this with small, golden, hoop earrings and sparkly, green and gold bangles. My hair sat in a braid down my back. With a little eyeliner and gold dust on my eye lids, I looked totally different. I wore clear contacts instead of my glasses today. I was a bit nervous. We went in four vehicles. Mandy, Raj, Nate and I were in one car.

I saw Nathan stare at me. He was sitting next to Raj in the front and I gave him a wink. He smiled and quickly turned to Raj to talk about something. He was totally checking me out. At the temple, we all went as a group for blessings and met Nathan's family. His sister is very perky and funny. When I was introduced to his family as his girlfriend, they did the whole once over and let me tell you, it was very nerve-racking.

Their faces were all serious before they broke out into smiles. His mom told me to call her Aunty. She told me that after meeting all his other girlfriends from before. She likes me the best because I had a better attitude. Her first impression of me was sweet. She liked me in a saree and here, Nathan agreed and she gave him a small slap on the arm. Uncle was really welcoming too. He was pretty laid back and followed all of his wife's orders. I could see who wore the pants in the family.

Nathan's sister is gorgeous and looked amazing in a turquoise and peach number. Her hair was pulled up in the midsection at the back and falling down to her hips. Her 21st birthday is four days before the wedding! She's in 3rd year of university now and she's quite the character. She and I have chatted over social media but it was better in person.

Everyone chatted with one another before the rituals began. All the married couples did a ritual. The swaami came by and blessed the thalis/mangalsutras and then he came over to where Nathan and I stood and asked me for mine.

We had to explain to him that we weren't married and he gave a chuckle and left. That was kind of weird but hey, who knows, maybe we'll tie the knot some day?

Everyone was having a good joke about it. Two hours went by and we drove back home for a some lunch. After changing into a pair of jeans and a white blouse, I went back downstairs. I'm a bit of a messy eater and had something at the corner of my mouth that I hadn't noticed. Nate reached over and wiped it off with a napkin. His mom pretended not to have looked but their was a small smile on her face. There was lots of jokes happening and serious talks about the wedding. In other news, Nathan's family wanted to meet mine and Mandy's parents encouraged this too because they haven't seen my family in ages.

When I had Skyped my mom a few days earlier and introduced Nathan, I think she approved. My brother and sister are both younger than me. My sister freaked out when she found out I had a boyfriend. She wanted every detail and she couldn't wait to meet him. I called my mom again today and Nate's mom and her had a long conversation before a day was picked for when the families could meet. We're going to go visit tomorrow! Everything was happening so quickly! I didn't think I was going to see my parents until the end of the month but I'm seeing them tomorrow and introducing my boyfriend to them! This is crazy! We made a batch of cookies to bring.

At the end of the day, everyone was relaxing and ready for bed. It was an early night for all of us. Nate's family was going to be staying here tonight. His sister was with me. His parents were in his bedroom and he was with Raj. His sister told me about their family and a few stories about Nate. Their family is pretty big. After our chat, I set out the clothes I was going to wear tomorrow. I'll be wearing a yellow sundress with white sandals and pearl earrings and my gold necklace with a silver bead pendant. I'm so excited to see my family again! I fell asleep with good thoughts on my mind.