Hero for a Day

Finally, the day came for me to leave. This time I went by bus – I had to trasnfer to a lot of different buses and it takes a day and a half so I booked a room and told Natewhere I was staying. He said he'll come and pick me up. I think it was a two hour drive from Mandy's place. I told him not to but he wouldn't listen so I was waiting for his arrival. I had taken a shower and was watching TV when someone was knocking at the door. I looked thrugh the small circle but the person was too short and all I saw was a patch of hair. By now it was about eight at night.

Nate should be here in a few minutes. I opened the door and a little boy was standing there. He asked me if he could hide in my room. He was really scared and I let him in. I asked him to explain what was happening. He said his dad was into bad business and made a bunch of people angry. Those people are trying to kidnap him and someone is chasing him right now and he didn't know where to go. He knocked on the nearest doors but only mine opened. I told him not to be scared and I called the police right away explaining the situation. I made the boy eat some of my hotel service dinner. His name is Francis. He was very thankful.

I asked where his mom and dad were. He said that his parents are probably at home. I asked him what he was doing at at the hotel. He said that his friend was having a party and when he walked out to use the bathroom, a strange man asked him if he was his dad's son and then tried to tie him up but he somehow ran away. This was serious. I was scared for this boy. I told him to be calm and he told me his parents' number. I called them up and told them their son is still at the hotel and is now with me and he's safe. They were on their way.  The boy was really scared and then there was a knock at my door. I opened it thinking it was the either the hotel manager, Nathan, the police or the boy's parents.

A heavy set man walked past me and into the room. He saw Francis who was very scared. Francis ran into the bathroom locking the door. Thank God. That kid has brains. The man tried to get into it but I stopped him and asked him to leave. He was in my hotel room without permission and he has no right to be after that kid. He brought a knife out and said he'd kill me if I tried to stop him but I couldn't let him get the boy. I tried to push him out of the room but he grabbed me and pushed me onto the floor and said if I say anything else I will die tonight. He got down beside me and said, "Or you can come with me and show me something nice."

Disgusting. I called him all these names but he brought the knife close to me. I told him to leave and when I tried to pick up the phone to call the hotel again to tell them about the wacko in my room he slashed the knife at my arm. "That's what you wanted didn't you?" Now he was on top of me and I could smell his nasty breath. Comeon gimme a kiss.  I was screaming for help but he stuffed something into my mouth and he was trying to take my shirt off but I kicked him in the groin. He said he'd finish me off right there. He twisted my arm and I felt a very painful feeling crawling up my arm and then he was bringing the knife closer. I closed my eyes waiting for my last few minutes. I laid there thinking about Francis in the bathroom, my trip here, leaving my parents house, Mandy, Raj, Juan and Nate, and how Nate will find my dead body here.

 I was crying mercilessly and then I heard a thump and the man's body was right on top of me unconcious. Someone kicked him over and picked me up. It was Nate! Behind him were the hotel management, the police and then two people who I assumed were Francis' parents. Then, my eyes had closed and I was out. One second I'm up and the next I'm down.

When I woke up, I was nestled against Nate in a corner of the room where a paramedic was looking at my arm. Francis and his parents were beside me to see if I was okay. The parents were crying and the kid was too. Before all this happened, I was wearing my baggy sweat pants with a t-shirt that had become damp with my wet hair resting on it.  I remembered all that had happened and I was shuddering and crying. I found Nate's arms and buried myself in them. I told him to never leave me like that. The hotel management was apologising over and over and the police had left with the man. Turns out they knew who he is already.