Sneaking around in September

The next day, I woke up with the small light coming through the basement window. Nate was sleeping on the lay-on chair he dragged from the living room in the basement. He was sleeping in my room. I laid there and stared at him. I found that he had a light snore. It was funny. I called his name but he didn't answer. I needed to freshen up. I woke up with a small pool around my head. I was sweating last night. This is all getting worse and worse. I'm not sure I know what to do. School was to start in another two days – I'm heading back to my third year of medical school with Mandy. Her belly has grown and she can't hide it anymore!

  I grabbed a few clothes and took a shower and came back .Nate was awake and asked how I was doing. I said that I'm better but I think he's the one who needs some rest now. I don't think he slept last night. He had bags and dark circles around his eyes. He still came over and felt my forehead which was back to a normal temperature. I took him to his room and tucked him in. I kissed his forehead and he was already asleep. I left and checked the messages on my phone. The doctor had called yesterday night because he wanted to see my results immediately and he says that things don't look good and I need to visit his office quickly. So Mandy decided to take me to the doctor's about the fever anyway and I asked if we could stick to the same one I saw yesterday and she agreed. She waited in the waiting room while I talked to the doctor. I couldn't help it I had tears in my eyes when he told me but he said it was very curable as long as there isn't a delay and I take the medications regularly. I was prescribed with medications for the side effects and then for the place I was being affected. I had an autoimmune disease – tissues that were supposed to make good blood cells aren't working properly so I have a problem in my blood. I had to take an injection every few months and I'm going to receive my first one the following week. I can not believe that this is happening to me. I guess that's how everyone feels when something bad happens to them. I did cry but I cleaned up before going out to see Mandy again.

She looked at me strangely then asked if everything was okay? I asked why. She replied saying that my eyes were pinkish. I told her that the doctor said it's a side effect of the fever and I should be fine. I gave the prescription to the pharmacy and I'm picking up my medicine tonight. I had to find an excuse to come back tonight. I had the perfect one, I asked Nate out on a date. I said it would be my treat. I was going to take him to a café but before going I told him I needed to pick up medicine for my thyroid and he agreed so I picked up the stuff.  I had to take three different pills regularly at different times each day. I hid it from him and then we left for our dinner date at the café. We had dinner of salad with spicy grilled chicken and smoothies on the side. So good! We came outside with Nate joking around and me laughing. He cornered me at his car with his arms on either side and he leaned in for a kiss but I can't do it, I bend down a bit and he kisses my fore head. It was funny but he told me that he's been missing me all this time. I remembered the last time he said that at the airport, I remembered that day and then the envelope his mom gave me. I have that in the stuff that's most precious to me.  I don't know if Nate knows about it but I don't want to bring it up. I feel really bogged down right now. Nate left me to have some rest when we got back to the house.

I've been taking the medicine and it sits in the small drawer next to my bed. Nate still works a lot so I don't see him as much except for the weekends. We started school again. I leave the house with Mandy and somehow when I need to see the doctor about something, I give a small excuse about staying back and bus over to the medical centre. All this sneaking around is tiring.

At school, we've began to learn a topic related closely to the kind of disease I am stuck with. We are now given an assignment to do and I chose this topic.

So it's been about a month – it's now the end of September. Mandy is at 3 and a half months and is leaving with Raj today for her first ultrasound to see the baby. It's the weekend so Nate is home.

 I've been experiencing other side effects – I can't eat. I can but I don't feel hungry. I've lost a few pounds. I also haven't been able to sleep but when school starts, I usually don't get enough sleep but I do get one of those days where all the sleep ends up coming at once. So I study and study until I get bored and do other stuff. This past month I haven't been feeling that bad which is great! Nate and I go on a date every week or stay home together and do our own thing. Sometimes I'll be studying and he'll see that and not bother me. Since our first kiss, I feel a bit awkward kissing him and we haven't had the most romantic times lately.

I made my first payment to Mandy today.  It was a cheque for the due amount. She was so busy today. After the ultrasound, going over to her parents' place to pick up some more of her things she had left and showing pictures. She found out the gender of her baby. Her baby is a ... drum roll please... she's having a boy!

She's thinking of names still but I think both parents on either side have started coming up with names. So that's what's going on so far. Not too much. I visit the doctor once a month now. October is coming up. Nathan and I have been together for three months now. Okay the longest relationship I was ever in was probably one year but I got so absorbed in working hard and studying and didn't have time for that kind of thing but living in the same house as my boyfriend – a lot different, we don't need to plan so much to see each other. I have breakfast with him every day! He's cooked a few times. I can't cook a lot of things without instruction but Nate definitely has a talent for it. His food is delicious!