Life Goes On

I was out for about a few hours. It was almost nine when I was slowly gaining sight of everything. There was a nurse who was taking my blood pressure and checking to make sure everything was okay. She asked me how I was feeling. I woke up and it felt good – I survived! I'm not dead, well not yet anyway. I felt the pain and I told her it hurts. She gave me a few more painkillers after asking the doctor. A few minutes later, my parents walked in to see how I was doing. They left leaving a bouquet of flowers. Mandy and Raj walked in. They had left Juan at his grandma's place. Mandy gave me a hug and said welcome. Nate's parents and Sammy came with a goodY basket and a get well soon card. I was staying here for another one or two weeks depending how well I feel. Nate still hadn't come in yet. I think they got permission from the nurse and they all walked in with Nate holding a cake – to celebrate the fact that my operation is over and it was also a late birthday celebration. He leaned over and whispered "Congrats on completing a year!".

I forgot completely! It's been an year since we started to go out! I didn't even get him a present. He said I didn't need to because my love alone was enough. I noticed I was wearing the charm bracelet he gave me for my birthday. Sammy had noticed it and she knew what was in my heart and when I later opened the presents the next day– sitting in the middle of the box was a small letter N that would go perfectly with the other two charms. We cut the cake together. We gave pieces to the doctors, nurses, and the other patients that were awake. Finally, it was time for everyone to leave and I was going to miss them but the doctor said I have a few more tests to see my iron, potassium and other levels are in good place. Nate gave me a kiss on the forehead before leaving. I told him that I love him. That night was good.

The next morning, I had the hospital food for breakfast and went around to neighbouring rooms introducing myself to other patients and telling them why I'm in and asking about them. There's this old man who is in the room next door. He's having a hard time pumping his blood through his heart. He told me he doesn't get many visitors. I asked about his family. They rarely come to visit. He's been sitting in the room alone with visits from the doctor, a church group, nurses and now finally a visitor, me! I felt happy to have made someone smile. I felt bad for him. At a time like this, he needs his family the most but his wife had passed away a few years ago and his only son lived overseas. The others that were his family didn't care enough and had their own lives. I felt bad for him but I was called back to my own room to get my tests done. I said bye to him and returned to find Nate sitting in there with Mandy. They left as my tests were being done and came back in. I asked them how things were back home but thhey wanted to know where I had been.

 I told them about the old man and wanted them to meet him – we went by to his room but he was asleep. So without bothering him we came back. My home crew brought me a few home made snacks including Raj's yummy blueberry muffins with a double-double tea from the café downstairs. They noticed the packaging of the small boxes and bags I had opened. They asked me if I liked the birthday gifts. I said they were all great. Mandy wanted to see some of them and I showed her Sammy's gift. It was the N charm I had hooked onto my bracelet. She asked me where I had gotten the bracelet. I put my arm out in front and said it was back when it was my real birthday and we couldn't celebrate. She said it's perfect and I definitely agreed with her. Nate was behind her talking to Raj about something. I saw him glance over and then he turned and asked about the N charm. I told him that it was the missing piece and someone very close to him had got it for me. I told him it was from Sammy and he replied "I knew I shouldn't have asked her about which bracelet to pick!"

We all had a good laugh and then it was time for my afternoon testing. I wasn't getting any side effects which was a good sign. Maybe I can leave in another week. I went back to the old man's room and left my bouquet of flowers on the table. I began to read a few books that the crew brought me and fell asleep.

Everyday, I would talk to the old man and find out more about him. I had visitors from everywhere – my librarian friends, church parish groups, Mandy and Raj's relatives who I had served hospitably when they came to see Juan, Nate's parents and Sammy who were going to leave at the end of my first week here. Everything seems to be going well. I might be out in a few days. I know the hospital bill would be high. I think I can get some sort of student discount. My parents are taking care of all that. I just need to sit back and rest. It gets really boring sometimes. I talk to the nurses but they're busy too. The person next door to me is a woman in her mid-40s. She is usually busy and won't talk much to me. I think she's being dispatched tomorrow.

I found out the old man's relatives are really mean. They made him write his will and almost all of his money will go to his family who are already well to-do and just waiting for him to die. He was a sad man. I felt bad for him. I needed to get help for him. I connected him to a lawyer who took care of these things. It didn't take that long. He just had to write his properties and money to someone he wants to give it to and he put it under his son's name.

I did all this for him once I got out of the hospital. The rest of his fmaily wouldn't be finding out any time soon. I was happy for him. After coming out of the hospital, my parents came along to pick me up with Nate.  I went to visit the old man every day bringing him a little something when I could. My parents were going back home and wanted me to come with them for a month so my bags were packed as of that night. The next morning I said bye to Nate's family, Mandy, Raj and finally Nate. I told him we can talk over skype and all. I got home to  sleep in my old bedroom my sister and I used to share. She had literally taken over the room – the old foldable bed came back up that night. I slept on it with my suitcases packed in a corner.

The next few weeks I was invited to comeover for lunch or dinner or there would be guests at my house to see how I was doing after the operation. I told them they don't need to come see me but they still wanted to see me because they weren't able to see me last time I came either. So I was busy going around like that.Natewould say that he missed me and in the short time we had to talk to teacher he would give me an update about how everyone is doing back at the home place. I also get to talk to Mandy and Raj. Juan sits there staring at the computer. He is the most adorable thing ever! I asked him how the old man at the hospital was – the crew visits him whenever they can.  It was the middle of August and I was having conversations with people over skype. I tried to call up Nate.  He seemed to be really busy the past few days. I had to prepare for last year of medical school so I was packing to go back to Montreal soon.

My mom began with how good of a boy I found – meaning Nate. I told her that we've onlly dated for about an year but she said do you think he's husband material – would you consider marrying him?  I said he's very hubby material but I didn't want to get into all the wedding thing so quickly. I didn't want to get into details about us with my mom but I was thinking back to what he said before the operation. We both told our love to each other. Freely. And neither of us were upset about it. Maybe this love can last. Whenever I think that I always ask why I doubt myself. Maybe because I've felt broken somewhere. It didn't work – that's it. I could kind of see Nate and me having a future. But I have four years left to become a doctor officially. I'm almost done medical school but I need to finish my training (residency). I was leaving in antoher two days. The whole family came over with goodbyes and hugs in the next two days. This past month made me realize, not matter what, life goes on.