A February I can never Forget

As soon as February began, Mandy's contractions were worse and were coming more often. Sometimes she took painkillers for it. Other times I helped her get through it by doing pregnancy yoga with her. We would get into a position where she could stretch her body out. Her due date was really close. So let me tell you about the time her contractions became even worse.

One day, I took the bus back home from the school. Mandy had texted me saying she needs help. I finished my last class. She was lying in the front living room sofa and moaning a bit. She couldn't even do the stretches – that's how much pain she was in. Her due date was another few weeks away but she could go at any time. Was this the day? I've never been at the scene when someone gave birth. Mandy was clenching her fists now. Half an hour later she had gone back to normal. She told me that this has been happening to her all day. I called Raj who was in a meeting so I couldn't get much help from him. Then I called Nate who if I called in the middle of the day like that got pretty worried. He wasn't available either. I asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital.

She wasn't ready yet and said in a while. Nate called back later and asked what was up – I told him how m's contraactions were worse and he asked if we need anything.  I told him that I'll call when we need to go to the hospital and if he can tell Raj too. Mandy and I decieded to pack an overnight bag for her. I packed a tote with just an extra t-shirt for myself. We got a separate grocery bag and filled it with snacks and drinks for her. Soon, Raj got the message and left work early. Nate still hadn't got off of work. He gets off by 8 – he works from 8 am to 8 pm and sometimes if there's a lot, he does overtime which is usual.  Mandy got another few contractions and now they were showing up within five to ten minute gaps. She had to go number two and she realized that she can't hold off any longer and she wanted to leave. It was about five now. She wanted to go to the hospital right away. Raj drove us there. I sat in the back while she clenched my hand really hard and breathed short rough breaths.

 Soon she stopped and was tired by the effort of just getting up and sitting back down. The nurse said we brought her in time – all the signs and her pressure shows that she is ready. She was transferred to a bed and her face was a bit pink now. Baby Juan was going to come out soon! Raj had called the parents and by now, Nate had heard the message and reached the hospital. Soon, Mandy's water broke and she started the labour process. We heard he gasping and breathing hard and yelling in between while we stood outside. Soon we all shifted into the waiting room. Raj was in with Mandy. Soon Mandy had stopped – they couldn't see the baby's head. Mandy was even pinker now and sweating hard. Her contractions were back.

 It was about 9 and I was shooed back out. The parents were coming back from dinner and waited in the waiting room. Nate and I had a dinner in the hospital café. We went to Mandy's room and stood in front of the door. We heard Raj say that he could see the head! Nate had a funny look on his face. I had to laugh. Mandy let out a larger scream and we heard a little cry – Juan was born! I was so happy for my friends! Another half an hour later, the parents had joined us outside the door. Raj came out looking for us. He said that Mandy has some complications with delivery. He was so worried and I could see tears in his eyes. I was worried. He said that Mandy needs injections of blood and the hospital doesn't have her type.

She was unconcious right now and may not wake up at all without it. That's when Raj remembered that I have the same type as her – uh oh, not good. He was so happy that I had the same type and he asked the doctor to take my blood. I gladly went without thinking. I'm so stupid! Raj had let the parents see Juan and Nate was with me. The nurse asked me whether I had any health issues and it hit me then, my condition isn't going to allow me to give Mandy blood. I had tears pop into my eyes and I told her about my blood issue. She said that I can't be giving my blood because it's not good for me so it won't be good for others. Nate took me in his arms and was hugging me – I was sobbing. I can't believe it. My best friend can lose her life if she doesn't get the blood and I can't give it to her because my blood is poisonous to her.