Moving on

On the day I was meeting my prospective husband to be, the family was supposed to show up at lunch. That day, Nate had texted me saying he wants to meet up and see how I was doing. I told him that we'll arrange a date after this. He knows today is my meeting day. He said he wants to talk. This was at about 11 in the morning. I had been dressed in the sari and the family should be here by 11:30. I told him it's not the right time. I had already seen a car pull up near the house. He called and said it was him. I asked him what's wrong and why he came all the way here without telling me. He pleaded me to come outside. I snuck out of the house from the back and met him near my house.

I saw another car pull up and my sister called asking where I was. I told her I'll be there in ten minutes and to stall everything. I told Nate he had maximum ten minutes to talk. He began with sorry about breaking up with you. I said if that's what he came all the way here to say, then he shoud stop speaking – he has been forgiven, and I've moved on. He looked at me and then said that he hasn't moved on yet. "I still have feelings for you. I love you Kate. I can never forget about you. I don't know why we even broke up." I told him I didn't want to argue with him but he kept going. He had the nerve to be holding a rose and also on his knee, holding a ring box. I was shocked! What is he doing? Why is he doing this.

 I told him he's the one that wanted to break up and not me – it was his idea. I still had feelings for him but I have to hide them. I stopped before I said anything else. I realised that I haven't forgotten him. He looked grim and almost happy when I said that. I told him that I can't do anything any more. I'm meeting someone I can look for a future with. I can't have someone who fleets around and expects me to always wait around. He had turned away and was listening to all this. I turned around to get back to my house. I can't be miserable. I was suppsed to be happy and bubbly – my mood had been ruined. I couldn't turn around to look back. I was upset. I can't believe he came all the way here to say something like this at this time. He's always giving me surprises and not always the good kind.

My sister got me throught the back door which was attached to the kitchen. I told her I'll explain later. She said I was expected to bring tea in a few minutes. It was all prepared. I just had to go inside and meet the family. My mom bustled in wanting to know what was taking so long. She said they're getting bored. I peeked into the room. She told me, the sister had gone to the washroom, the mom had gone to the car to get something and the dad was sitting beside my dad and I couldn't see him. I asked her where the guy was and the doorbell rang – must be the mom with her son I think.

 I asked my sister if she saw him and she said no. She had a smile on her lips and I asked her what she hid from me but she wouldn't tell. My whole family has been energetic all day. I heard footsteps in the hall and the whole famliy was seated again and my mom came back to tell me I had to come in now. I walked in with my sister holding my arm and me holding the tray and treats. I set it on the table without looking at the faces. I picked up a cup and saucer to give it to the uncle. I looked up saying hello, unc- huh?