Chapter 41: Plywood and Proclamations

"She's just so small!" Percy exclaimed, continuing to level the plywood on the archery shed.

Our hands were covered in cuts and bruises from sandpapering the wallls all week long.

"Careful, or Tyson's going to think you have a new favourite," I laughed from the opposite side of the shed.

"Well....Estelle is most definitely my favourite," he said, flashing me a grin as he slathered some more glue compound.

"You're evil," I replied, rolling my eyes.

I yelped, knicking myself against the bricks.

"You okay?" Percy called, concerned. He walked over a few second later, kissing my scratched up fingertips.

"There...your boo boo is all better," he teased, kissing my forehead before going back to his side.

I just stared after him.

...how in the name of all the Greek psychopaths did I get so lucky?

A part of me believed that I was never going to get a fairytale prince, or that someone would love me unconditionally.

But....every single thing Percy does or says shows how much he... well...cares about me.

We still haven't said those three little words. But in my heart, I knew that I wouldn't feel this way about anyone but him.

Things were going so good right now....I didn't want to mess it up by saying them too quickly.

I know it's irrational but....the last thing I heard my mother tell my father before he left for work was that she loved him. And they never saw each other again....

"Earth to wise girl?" Percy called, "Are you alright? You seemed...sad?"

"No no I'm good," I replied, pushing down the thoughts and memories, "But you know what's not good? The fact that we haven't finished our project and it's due next week!"

"Oh yeah! The Trojan horse thingy!" Percy exclaimed, a lightbulb practically appearing on top of his head, "I completely forgot about that."

"How convenient that you never seem to revive allll the texts I send about it," I rolled my eyes, "it's truly a miracle."

"The miracle is you," he winked.

"Nuh uh....you can't flirt your way out of this one Mr," I replied, stomping my foot for dramatic affect, "you're actually gonna help me finish this."

"Of course! I'll be right here cheering you on.....I believe in you!" he clapped his hands together, mimicking a cheerleader I think.

"I should've let Clarisse murder you," I sighed, returning my attention to the archery shed.

"Okay okay how about this.....once we're done here, we can clean up and go for a walk. And go back to my place after to do your precious project?"

"It's a huge chunk of our grade!" I protested, "but...alright fine. No funny business."

"Scouts honour ," Percy replied, crossing his heart.

"You were never a scout," I replied, suppressing a smile.

"Well then....I wonder how the day will go," he chuckled, getting back to his work.

We spent the next few hours in rhythmic silence, albeit a few conversations here and there.

We finished up a little earlier than expected, giving us a much longer walk through our favourite woods.

"So yeah....that's what I was thinking for the conclusion," I exclaimed, holding Percy's hand as we passed through the acres of trees, "what do you think?"

"It's brilliant!"  Percy said from beside me, squeezing my hand tighter, "we're defo gonna have the best project!"

"You didn't hear a word I said...did you?" I asked, amused.

"In my defence.....you just look so beautiful," he replied, looking straight into my eyes, "what was I supposed to do?"

"You were supposed to pay attention," I laughed, pushing him away slightly.

"I did! Just to your face!" he laughed too, pulling me closer towards him, "It's not my fault that the girl I lo-"

"Oh look! A tree!" I interjected way too quickly, "it has bark!"

Percy's face fell a little, "I....guess? It's a cute tree."

"Race you to our creek!" I challenged, pecking him on the cheek before I dashed off, my heart pounding before I even picked up the pace.

Was he really going to say that he.....loved me?!

I had no doubt in my mind that this boy captured my heart and soul....I just didn't know if I wanted to admit it yet, when everything was going so well.

I guess making a fool of myself is one way to avoid it.

Percy caught up to me a minute later, "are you alright wise girl?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

"Of course!" I replied, pushing my smile a little wider, "I just missed the view."

"Good cause I thought....nevermind that," Percy shook his head, sitting down beside me.

We spent a while sitting by the creek, watching the sun go down as we talked about nothing and everything at the same time.

Percy rested his head on my lap as I leaned against the tree.

He yawned for the fourth time, "that's it! I'm taking a nap!" he declared.

"But what about the project?"

"We'll do it after I wake up"

"Alright then," I replied, resting my own tired eyes, "sweet dreams."

"Sweet dreams, my love," Percy replied with a yawn, already asleep.

The words rang in my ears.

My love.

I wasn't able to get any rest.

—————————————————————————-

Happy new year guys!!!

(Thank you
@JuanitaNightshade for reminding me to post)

(Posted 8/1/23 - 3:39am)

Any suggestions for the story?

Stay tuned!!
—-S