Chapter 25: Meet me in the afterglow.

"Why?! So you can leave me again? Alone for five years without a goodbye?!" I screamed, immediately regretting it.

Percy stopped in his tracks. And so did I. My eyes stung, and they had no right to do so.

Seeing Percy kiss Rachel just....set something off in me, which I still couldn't understand. I've always been....protective? Of Percy. I just....I don't know.

And I felt horrible. Absolutely horrible for treating him the way I was now. He didn't deserve that.

Thought I had reason to attack, but no.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

Percy looked at me, his eyes stone cold. I'd never seen him like this, ever. Especially when the blank look was directed towards me.

My heart plummeted to the bottom of Hell. I remembered today's date, like a flash in my mind. The first time I remembered it.

Percy's father died today. 15 years ago, today.

It made my breathing hard, "Percy...I-"

We were near our creek. He chased me all the way there, without a single complaint. It made my heart hurt.

"Why I moved?" he cried, "What do you want me to say? You want the truth?! Well here it is!"

I tried to stop him, to stop this whole mess I created but he shook his head.

"No Annabeth. It's always loomed over us hasn't it? You still hate me for it."

"Percy I'm-" I tried, Percy wasn't having it.

"When mom went to town years ago, remember? the weekend I first slept over at your place? She came back pregnant. And when Gabe found out the baby wasn't his, he...took it out on me to get back at her," he took a deep breathe.

"Percy-" I moved towards him, "I-"

"So one day mom, she pushed him away from me. And he was so drunk, he fell off the stairs and snapped his neck. He died. And we had to leave, Annabeth," his eyes were rimmed with tears.

"Percy...please," I felt my own voice break, self loathing rushing into me like I tidal wave. I had no right. Absolutely no right in goading him into telling me this.

"Let me finish," he whispered, but didn't move.

"You don't have to tell me," I whispered, "Not until you're ready."

Percy's eyes softened," I want to. I've always wanted to."

I moved closer to him, and he took a step forward as well.

With a shaky inhale, he continued,"Paul helped us. He had a friend in the police department and....I didn't want to know the rest. So we moved and stayed with Paul...to keep mom safe."

"Percy...."

"I just don't know what to do," his voice cracked and the tears rolled down his face, "I don't know what to do, Annabeth! When I moved back, nothing is the same. And I just....nothing is the same. And that house! That house reminds me of him!"

"So please," his voice broke, "Please stop hating me. You're all which kept me sane when I was away. And I can't see you hate me, I can't explain It."

I reached to cup his face.

My heart ached. Ached for him. Ached for this mess. Ached for us.

"I don't know how the future is going to be like, Percy," I whispered, wiping away his tears, "But I promise you won't have to find out alone."

"And I don't hate you," I fished out the bead necklace from my pocket, and looped it around my neck.

"I've been the selfish one, I'm sorry," I told him, cradling him in my arms as I let a tear make its way down my face, "Sorry for hurting you. I'm so sorry."

"I'll be better, I promise," I promised him

"I'll be better, I promise," I promised him. It was excruciating to see him low. Just wanted to lift him up, not let him go.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"No," I told him honestly, "You didn't owe me anything. You've never owed me anything, and I'm sorry I made you feel like you did."

"And...I'm the one who burned us down
But it's not what I meant .....I'm sorry that I hurt you."

"I don't wanna do....." I took a deep breath, "I-don't wanna do this to you.....I don't wanna lose......I don't wanna lose this with you."

I just held onto him.

"Come on, let's go sit down," I whispered, both of finding ourselves at the creek.

Silence.

It wrapped itself around us like a blanket, warm and comforting.

His arms soon were wrapped around me, his head on my shoulder as we told each other stories. I told him about Malcolm, and memories I'd pushed into a deep void within me. Percy finished Gabe's story.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm glad that bastard got what he deserved. Gabe deserved to burn in Hell.

Hours passed by unaccounted for. My throat was parched, and Percy's was too. He drank some water from the creek, which he spat out immediately.

We leaned against each other, both tired from the events of the day. His back rested against mine.

"Percy...one more thing," I told him, fingering my bead necklace. We had to go soon, the sun was setting, "We need another bead, for this year."

I turned to face him, making a silent prayer.

Tell me that you're still mine
Tell me that we'll be just fine
Even when I lose my mind
Tell me that it's not my fault
Tell me that I'm all you want
Even when I break your heart

He had every right to hate me. But I still made my wish.

Percy smiled, "Oh yeah? How about a archery shed?"

I laughed. I sent a thank you to whatever Gods were watching over me. And an apology.

Percy looked into the distance, the sunset was magnificent. And so was he.

I hoped that one day I could deserve him.

—————————————————————————

Thanks for reminding me Changing-the-World !!!
Between school and exams I've had absolutely no time to write! So please be patient with me if I don't upload on time
😭

And yes I've been obsessed with the song Afterglow (by Taylor Swift) this week

(Posted 8th March, 22- 11:07pm

Happy womens day y'all!!!

Stay tuned!!
—S (for studying)