Chapter 43: A very Merry Christmas Eve

December 24th

"A very merry Christmas Eve to you, Annabeth," Helen greeted, offering me a smile, "I'm all packed and ready," she said, standing with her suitcases by the door.

"I....I'll will miss you," I smiled back, offering her a timid hug, "I can't remember Christmas without you."

"I know dear.....but my grandfather...I can't take Matthew and Bobby to see him in his condition," she sighed, pulling her coat closer to herself.

"Again, I am so sorry for your loss," I replied honestly.

Helen and I have formed a good bond the last few months. And it did make me feel bad to see her so down.

She offered me a sad smile, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, "Well...don't worry about me. You kids just enjoy your Christmas. Sally was kind enough to take you all in."

Sally and Helen have gotten really close over the past few months, especially after Estelle was born.

Honestly, I was happy for them. They both deserve to have someone to trust and rely on.

"I'm sure Percy will be thrilled you're spending Christmas with him too," she chuckled, flashing an amused expression, "don't get carried away, I don't think Matt and Bobby are ready to be uncles yet"

"Helen!" I felt my face heat up.

Sometimes I preferred it when we didn't talk.

"I already said bye to the boys...so goodbye darling, I must catch the train," Helen said, patting my shoulder.

She pulled me into another hug before she made her way out the door, dragging her suitcase alongside her.

After Helen's departure I made myself and the boys some toast for breakfast, forcing them to shove it down their throats and get ready for the day.

They eventually convinced me to let them watch Encanto, and we ended up doing that.

I hardly got any time to spend with my brothers anymore, so having them cuddled up against me with hot cocoa on Christmas Eve, seemed like a little present.

No matter how much they annoy me, I still love my little psychos.

"Come on, it's almost dinner time. Sally's expected us at noon," I nudged towards the end credits, "you guys can tell Tyson all about the movie."

"Really? Can we play too?" Matthew asked expectantly

"You guys can have the best sleepover of all time! But keep quiet a bit so the baby can sleep," I replied, pushing them off of me as I turned off the tv.

Bobby landed with a plop on the floor.

"Go grab your overnight bags," I commanded, the twins bouncing off to do just that.

We arrived at Percy's house a while later, the smell of lasagna already filling the air.

Grover greeted us at the door, much to my surprise.

The twins ran inside as I pulled Grover into a tight embrace.

"All I want for Christmas is that we're friends forever," I grinned, pulling back.

"You better have gotten me a gift," he scoffed, "or we won't be friends forever"

I rolled my eyes, "I got you two gifts don't worry. What are you doing here anyway?"