Chapter 16: The bed seemed comfortable

"AAHHHH" the petrified sceam of a woman tore through the silent night.

Lights flashed and flickered, heading straight for us,piercing my eyes.
A body slammed into mine as the glass panels broke into a million pieces, raining down on us like snow. A warm wet liquid dripped down on me as I felt my body tire.My head slammed to the side of the car.

I woke up, stifling as gasp. Air. I needed air. Panting, trying to get oxygen into my lungs.

The walls were closing in on me. Suffocating me. A weight pressed against my throat.

It was that same dream again.
It was a nightmare.
Just a nightmare.
Calm down Annabeth.

"This is all YOUR fault!" Malcolm's scream rang in my ears. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.

The lights sprang on, burning my eyes.

"Annabeth?" Percy called, sprinting to where I was. He kneeled down at the heel of the couch, his face thick with worry, "What happened?! Are you alright?!"

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. I was still panting, "water," I managed to croak out. I shielded my eyes from the bright light.

He nodded and ran to the kitchen. I heard the tap turned on.

I focused on my breathing.
Inhale
Exhale
Inhale
Exhale

It was just a nightmare, Annabeth. You need to calm down. It's over. It's over. It's over.

"Here," Percy returned with a glass of cold water. I held in it my hands, trying to focus on it, trying to calm my rapid heartbeat.

Percy didn't move a muscle until I composed myself, taking a sip of water.Wordlessly, he brought me another one. I gulped it down aswell.

"Nightmare?" he asked gently, setting the glass down on the table, the silent clang reverberated through the room.

I nodded, "you too?" I asked, noticing the sheen of sweat that coated him. Then the bags under his eyes, that were rimmed red.

He nodded.

"Same one?" I asked. He nodded again.

He took a deep breath, focusing on the glass that sat on the table ,"Except this time, Tyson was there. And...he...he brought out the belt and-" his voice broke into a sob.

"It's okay. He's not here anymore Percy. He can't hurt you. Sally's safe. Tyson's safe. You're safe," I whispered, my own heart shattering like glass as I got down to the floor with him, wrapping my arms around his neck in an embrace out of pure muscle memory.

He buried his neck in the crook of my shoulder, breathing deeply. I pulled him closer, closing my eyes. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

"Once upon a time," I whispered, "There were three brothers. Poseidon, Zeus and Hades."

Percy chocked out a laugh.

"Poseidon presided over the seas, Zeus ruled the heavens and Hades the underworld," I continued, calming myself down as well. I leaned into his warmth.

"Poor Hades always got the short end of the stick," Percy pulled back, wiping away the tears with the back of his hand.

"And Zeus sucks," I laughed softly, remembering that it was almost 3am.

"Thunderthighs does suck," he nodded.

Silence fell upon us, the orchestra of the night being the sound of crickets and toads.