Chapter 17: Swim Team meet

I'd just finished a meeting with Will and the rest of the archery team about where we stood.

So we were going to take this month off, since Leo's father needed a little more time to finish our weapons. And after that, we could temporarily store them in the gymnasium until Percy and I were done finishing the shed.

One thing I was relived to note was that no one held any resentment towards me. In fact, they seemed more excited about the mini break that the fact that I burnt the shed down.

With that feeling of lightness,I was making sure everything was in place for the swim team meeting today.

Frank recruited two new members while I was working on the shed, so I wanted to personally welcome them to the team. And explain the rules and such.

The door opened, brining in a breeze of fresh air, slightly cooling the humid room.

"Hey Frank, Coach Hedge gave me a list of
exercises to go through before he comes back. So maybe we'll print it and put it on a wall so a person can run through it without us dictating it?" I asked, shrugging my shoes off.

Taking my shoes off was my least favourite part of being in the swim team.
I didn't like the icky feeling of touching the wet floor.

"Umm...yeah that'll work I guess," a voice answered, moving towards me.

"Sorry, thought you were Frank," I explained to Percy. He shrugged, ducking into the changing room.

The other morning, I woke up to the sound of Percy laughing. When my tired eyes finally peered open, I saw Percy tickling Tyson.

"Sorry, didn't want to wake you," he told me as he saw me stir, as if it was the most natural thing in the world for me to be in his bed.

I'd just gone back to sleep, until I was awoken by Sally's brunch special.

He hasn't stopped teasing me about it since.

"Aww Annabeth, you seem sleepy. Wanna take a nap? They're two pillows in my bed," he smirked, emerging out in his swimsuit.

My face heated, "Shut up, seaweed brain,"

"What did you say?" he asked, smiling.

"Owl brain," he said, when didn't answer

"Oh yeah?" I asked, taking a step towards him, "Kelp head."

"You could do better," he smirked again, his eyes shining with annoying amusement.

"I hate you," I was about an arms length away from him, could feel the heat of his body.

"Oh yeah?" he asked,fully smiling,"You didn't say that the other day"

"I'm going to-Woah!" my foot slid against the wet floor, sending me crashing into Percy.

He caught my forearms just in time, propping me up. My lips grazed his for a single heartbeat as he did so, a cackling current of electricity shook me.

Percy turned bright red, probably mirroring my own. He let go of me after I steadied myself, taking a step back.

"Annabeth?" Frank called, like a mercy from the Gods. Beside him were Nyssa Barrera, a girl who I'd had a couple of interactions with over the years. And Chris Rodriguez, who I didn't know well either. I did know Clarisse however, who was Frank's sister and an old friend. And Chris's girlfriend.

Nyssa Barrera however, wasn't really into any clubs, but she was Leo's second oldest sibling. The first, Charles Beckendorf who had moved out of town with his girlfriend Silena to help her start her own fashion line.

I'm pretty sure she is second in like to inherit Mr Hephasteus's shop.

I cleared my throat, hopefully not looking as flustered as I felt, "Nyssa! Chris! Hello!"

Without a glance back at Percy, I went up to them to shake their hands.

"Honestly, I didn't know you were into clubs," I told Nyssa after I was done explaining the rules. I was glad to have another girl on the team.

"Well this is my last year, and I thought why not? Everyone wants me to go for engineering but I thought swim would be fun!" she grinned

I high-fived that sentiment. Even though I was a part of the engineering club.

Coach Hedge had spontaneously appeared while we were in the changing room it seemed, baseball hat and all. And next to him were the rest of the teammates, looking mighty terrified.

"Welcome to the team," I whispered to Nyssa, who looked like she was ready to burst out laughing. From amusement or embarrassment? I don't know

"GET HERE CUPCAKES!!! 20 laps from the lot of you!!" Coach Hedge bellowed.

The pool echoed splashes. And I jumped in as well, the cold water,a perfect relief.

————————————————————————-

Ahh the perfect way to start of the new year!

Stay tuned!!
—S