Chapter 32: A basketball war

Okay I know I shouldn't be avoiding Percy,  but I can't help but feel embarrassed of the situation I put him in.

I was perfectly fine with him. I just couldn't deal with the ooohs and teasing which followed everytime we were together.

Hell, Travis told me that Grover fainted after he saw us kissing. Fainted.

But...a tiny little sinful part of me is glad that I did. If not in real life, atleast I can pretend Percy likes me.

I just wish it didn't happen the way it did. Or that it was fake.

I was planning on staying at home today until Helen dragged me out of bed with a poster for basketball-bears.

It was for some basket ball program that Coach Hedge was running on Saturday's for kids. And since Mayor Zeus just got us a basketball pitch built, it seemed like a slam dunk.

I found myself envious of how much energy the twins have. Even as we walked down the street, they bounced up and down and greeted everyone they passed, when all I could manage was a polite smile.

"Be on your best behaviour," I begged, as we entered the basketball court. It was quite modest, enough for our standards however.

"Annabethyyyyyy," a little voice squeezed, barrelling into me. I found Tyson looking back at me, practically choking me as he gave me a tight hug.

"Hey Ty," I choked out, detangling myself from him,"how are you?"

"Percy's not giving me the ball!" he whined, pointing to where his brother was dribbling the ball, hidden away to the side of the court where I hadn't even seen him.

"We wannaaaaaa playy tooo," Matthew pulled on the hem of my shirt,"Get uss the ball pleaseeeeeeee," he begged.

"Are you sure they aren't anymore?" I asked, looking around for a spare ball for them to bounce.

I was kinda nervous about seeing Percy. Something fluttered in my stomach at the sight of him and I didn't know if I had the energy to face it right now.

I knew I liked him for a while.

It's just that the word boyfriend was looming over my head, even if it was fake. I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to actually be with him.

I wanted to kick myself for kissing him. I don't know why I let Drew rile me up so much, it cost me my best friend.

"Ummm," I tried looking for an excuse,but I wasn't quick enough cause Percy yelled out the following. And Tyson's adorable eyes were fixed on me.

"I already told you Ty! If you want the ball, come get it yourself! You can't get Annabeth to do it for you!" Percy yelled, throwing the ball in the air for effect.

"Pleaseeee!!! You're old!! You can do it!!" All three of them begged, leaving me slightly offended. I wasn't that old.

"Give them the ball,Jackson!" I called to him. He ignored me, throwing the ball into the air again.

"Come and get it, Chase," he said, giving me a smirk that sped up my heart rate.

I silently cursed. I hated that boy and his guts.

"Oh! You're gonna be sorry!" I ran towards him, Percy as he laughed, steering the ball away from me.

"Is that the best you got?" Percy grinned.

He paused for a second, his eyes finding mine and lighting up in a way I had seen a few times before. It was the look of a boy who just came up with a winning idea.

Now I have no idea what he wants to win...or what the price could be.

"Remember our bet?" he asked slowly, carefully, even. The ball bounced precariously between us

"Yes.." I nodded. The realisation of what he wants to win and the price hit me.

"First to make 8 baskets," I nodded, an understanding passing between us.

A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of winning, and more so of a date....with...Percy.

Maybe this is what we needed to clear the air between us? Or would it make everything worse?

"Street rules?"he asked.

"No," I decided, getting into position,"okay boys," I yelled across to the children,"here's how to play."

Percy and I brought our A-game. More me, than him because I had better aim and ended up making 6 baskets before coach Hedge came back from his bathroom break.

The only issue now was that...Percy and I were tied...7:7
And...I had the ball with me, giving him a good chase across the court as I expressed my winning with glee.

The only issue is, I couldn't bring myself to throw the final ball. It's like something was stopping me,making me draw out this game for longer than it should be

so I.....so I could....

So I might have a chance to go on a date with Percy....

For the first time in my existence, I did not want to win.

I did, don't get me wrong. I wanted to win.
Just not at the cost of loosing out with Percy.

So when I threw the ball across the court into the hoop, I flicked my wrist, causing it to bounce on the outer ring and....fall off, allowing Percy to grab it and make the final toss...

"Nooooooooooo!!" the three boys behind me cried, with pouting faces.

They looked, the way I felt.

"Oops," I faked anger, throwing my head back,"I want a rematch!"

Percy didn't reply, he just looked at me carefully, squinting his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, dread already making its way into my system.

Of course he didn't want to go on a date. I should've won, would've saved me the shame of being cancelled on....

He probably decided to fake date me out of pity. I did look pathetic running into the shed like that. UGH.

"You....won," he said slowly, his eyes scanning my face.

I felt my cheeks heat,"We can have a rematch right now. Matthew distracted me," I lied, glancing over at the twins.

"No! No rematch, I won," he flashed me a smile.

Percy lowered his voice, making sure the boys nor the recently emerged coach Hedge could hear us,"That means....we're going out."

I faked a groan,"Do we have too?"

"I won," Percy said again, as if the more he said it, the truer it would be.

"Alright," my heart skipped a beat.

"Oh and Annabeth? Things are good between us, you can stop ignoring me," Percy winked, tossing me the ball as we made our way towards the boys and a happyish looking coach.

"I wasn't ignoring-"

"Well cupcakes!! That was certainly a demonstration! If either of you need a job, hit me up," Coach bobbed his head, extracting the ball from my grip, "The sign up sheet is over there," he pointed.

"Yes coach," I replied, as I made my way towards the station, Percy in tow.

I was going on a date. At some point atleast.

——-

New chapter! Atleast I posted in this lifetime!!

Any suggestions?

(Posted 8:52am- August 1st-2022)

Stay tuned!!
—-S