Chapter 40: Fate

Paul healed up his last remaining Pokemon. Weavile, Metagross, and his ace, Electivire. This situation was not in his favor. Three Pokemon against Cynthia, arguably the strongest champion to ever be crowned. She was in her early 30s and had been a champion for over a decade. If he remembered, her most popular team members were Lucario, Spiritomb, Togekiss, Milotic, Roserade, and her ace Mega Garchomp. A team that would cover all weaknesses and scares countless newbies and even veterans. Paul took a deep breath before walking over towards the two golden doors. He pushed them open to see a raised platform and Cynthia sitting on the throne. Cynthia smiled before standing up and approaching the battlefield.

Cynthia: "Paul Shinji. Together you and your Pokemon overcame all the challenges you faced, however difficult. It means that you've triumphed over any personal weaknesses, too. The power you have...I can feel it is emanating from you."

Paul stood there in shock. He took a deep swallow as the spit built up in his mouth. This was it.

Cynthia: "I wish you the best of luck in defeating me. If you happen to do so, it'll be the first time in over a decade I've lost. The only other person to give me a real challenge...Your brother. Reggie Shinji."

Paul: "..."

Cynthia: "Well, that's enough talking for now. Let's get on with why you are here. As the Pokemon League Champion of Sinnoh, I accept your challenge!"

Paul's heartbeat started beating, possibly over a hundred miles per hour. He started sweating. Could he do this, beat Cynthia, someone who crushed Reggie? Suddenly a voice was heard from above the arena. Nate was seen leaning on a rail and shouting.

Nate: "Come on. Your brother wouldn't want to see you this hesitant. Show me that resolve, Paul."

Paul nodded his head before looking back at Cynthia. Cynthia turned her head towards Nate.

Cynthia: "You won't cause any trouble, will you...Champion of Unova?"

Nate put both hands up.

Nate: "I promise I'm only watching!"

Cynthia stared at Nate before turning her attention back to Paul. Both trainers placed their hands on their Pokeballs before starting the match.

Cynthia/Paul: "Spiritomb/Weavile!"

Paul: "Ice Beam!"

The ice beam shot quickly, freezing Spiritomb in the rock before it could even get out.

Cynthia: "Well, that's certainly interesting. You're eager to get this over with."

Paul: "You're my last obstacle."

Cynthia returns her Spiritomb and sends Lucario.

Cynthia: "Let's try this again."

Paul: "Ice Beam!"

Cynthia: "Extreme Speed."

Lucario uses Extreme Speed to dodge the Ice Beam before closing the distance with Weavile. It winds back before delivering a powerful punch, only to see a blue barrier around Metagross.