Chapter 40 Part 2: Fate

Paul and Metagross look forward, daring not to break eye contact with Cynthia and Lucario. They continue to stare as Cynthia speaks up.

Cynthia: "If you don't fight, you can't win."

Paul: "Oh, we're quoting others now. How about  He who will win knows when to fight and when not to fight."

The two stare off again as Metagross and Lucario charge forward. Lucario sends multiple punches, as Metagross sends a zen head butt toward Lucario. Lucario takes damage from the super effective attack, but not without dealing damage himself with the various punches sent to Metagross.

Metagross falls to a knee as Lucario slides back towards Cynthia. It continues to charge towards Metagross, both Pokemon making their moves without instruction from either trainer. Perhaps it was the ego of both trainers or the will of the Pokemon, but whoever won would get a slight advantage. 

As both charge, Metagross uses Psychic and throws Lucario around the room. Lucario retaliates with multiple aura spheres, many of which make contact and continue to weaken Metagross. Metagross finally throws Lucario, who crashes into a wall. Metagross slowly gets up as Lucario does the same. 

Cynthia switches out to Togekiss as Metagross stays in. 

Cynthia: "Air slash!"

Togekiss sends a blade of air as Metagross dodges.

Paul: "Enough of your games! Body slam!"

Metagross goes up and lands directly on Toegkiss, crushing the small bird-like creature.

Cynthia does move as Toegkiss's health drains to 0. She sends out Lucario as it runs forward. The two trainers face off without either one backing down an inch. 

Paul/Cynthia: "Zen headbutt/Close combat!" 

The two Pokemon land their attacks, weakening each other and being sent back. They both don't back off an inch, trading blows and blowing smoke all over the field. Nate watches the fight with genuine surprise. He starts to whistle, seeing the damage on the walls around the arena.

As Metagross starts to tire out, Lucario pushes more pressure. Paul's eye never leaves Cynthia's sight as a fire grows brighter.

Metagross looks at Paul, seeing his unwavering nature. He screams out as a blue light surrounds him.

Cynthia watches curiously before setting her sights on Nate, sitting on the rails, avoiding eye contact.

Lucario doesn't back down, charging forward as the two trade blows, this time with Lucario on the fence

Lucario doesn't back down, charging forward as the two trade blows, this time with Lucario on the fence. Metagross quickly changes, sending Lucario flying with a Physic and charging in with a zen headbutt, knocking out Lucario.

Cynthia gives a hearty laugh.

Cynthia: "Well, congratulations, Paul." She gives him a round of applause as Paul doesn't move. "You've beaten 5 out of 6 Pokemon. You've beaten more of my team than your brother has. But I wouldn't celebrate yet. The End game starts now."