Chapter 37: Distraction

Brendan had been in Hoenn fighting off multiple challengers, since many came because of spring break. Most hadn't been a large challenge, as many hadn't even beaten the Elite Four. With no other trainers for the championship, Brendan decided to close early, before receiving a call from Nate.

Brendan: 'A call from Unova Champion?' "Hello?"

Nate: "Brendan. I need your help."

Brendan: "What's up?"

Nate: "I need you to help train a trainer named May Maple. She's currently training with Cynthia, however I have a trainer named Paul Shinji who wants to battle for her championship. Think you can help with that?"

Brendan: "I know Paul and May. I can help with that, but why do something for Paul?"

Nate: "Is it not okay for me to do something for the people?"

Brendan: "Paul's is from Sinnoh...he's not in the range of your people..."

Nate: 'Perceptive.' "I'm helping friend of mine with a favor before he left. I think you know him...Blue."

The line goes silent, as Brendan gives a sigh.

Brendan: "Alright...I suppose I can do something. Don't make me do all of this just for Paul to lose. 

Nate: "Also I need you to get a few items for me. Ill send you the details later along with the reason why."

Brendan: "Sure. Sure, I guess I'm just your servant. I'll catch you later."

Brendan ended the call, before sending out his Gardevoir and teleporting to Little Root Town. He hadn't expected his day to go like this, but he couldn't really complain. He would hopefully rekindle his friendship with May. As he approached May's house, he saw her training with Cynthia.

May: "Blaziken! Blaze Kick!"

Cynthia: "Garchomp Dragon Tail!"

The two moves collide, as Blaziken gets sent back. Garchomp, however, dusts the attack off.

Cynthia: "May! You can't win with brute force against me. For some trainers you have to be sneaky and others you can win with power. However, this isn't one you can win with power."

May: "Right!"

Brendan watches in amusement, as Garchomp continues to block off Blaziken's attacks, before sending a powerful one back. Blaziken gets sent back into the fence, as Garchomp looks fine.

Cynthia: "Didn't I say brute force doesn't work?"

May: "But it wasn't all brute force."

Cynthia looks at Garchomp, as the pokemon winces, due to burn. Cynthia looks in shock, before smiling. Brendan seeing enough decides to shout out.

Brendan: "She go you there."

Cynthia: "Brendan Birch, Hoenn Champion. What pleasure do we have to see you?"

Brendan: "No need to be so humble. After all your by far the better trainer and champion."

May: "Brendan?"

Brendan waves to her, as May runs towards him giving him a hug.

Brendan: "Nice to see you May. Anyway what are you guys up to?"

Cynthia: "Ash wanted to train May and seeing another girl be a champion would be great. After all it's just me and Leaf, after Nate beat Iris."

Brendan: "I suppose, however I'll take care of May for the rest of the day. Nate said he had a trainer who wanted to challenge you."