Chapter 23: Counterattack

*Several days before the tournament*

Ash: "Yo. Any information on Gladion?"

Gary: "Not much, but I did get a couple of things. He and another student are working under someone. They call them boss and their objective is you."

Ash: "What's that mean?"

Gary: "Not sure, but if I had to guess...it's gonna have to be the other version of you."

Ash: "..."

Gary: "I don't have anything else. We're stuck."

Ash: "So what now?"

Gary: "I'm still working on the medicine, so I need someone to possibly infiltrate their base. Someone who has around the talent of a champion."

Ash: "I know who your thinking of, but we can't."

Gary: "And why not?"

Ash: "She's busy doing her own thing. I think her goal right now is challenging Lance, the Kanto champion."

Gary: "She's the safest option right now. She knows about your condition and she's one of the strongest people we know."

Ash: "I don't want to get anyone else we know involved."

Gary: "Well who do you suggest then?"

Ash thinks for a second, before announcing a name.

Ash: "Brendan Birch."

Gary: "Professor Birch's kid? Why him?"

Ash: "Steven Stone suggested me to challenge him. Steven said he's incredibly strong only losing to his shiny Mega Metagross. He's also dealt with Team Magma and Team Aqua back in Hoenn. I'm sure he's willing to help us out."

Gary: "If you can get him on board then I'll be fine with it."

Ash: "Aright. Also one more thing Gary."

Gary: "What's up."

Ash: "If we meet in the finals, you better not hold back."

Gary: "Don't worry. I never planned to."

*Timeskip*

Brendan: "Swampert careful! We need to catch this poochyena for my dad."

Swampert nods.

Brendan: "Alright go Pokeball!"

Brendan launches a Pokeball, hitting the Poochyena and wiggling two times, before popping out and running away.

Swampert gives off a laughing expression.

Brendan: "Alright. Alright laugh it up."

Brendan checks his Pokenav to see a message from his dad telling him to go back home.

Brendan: "Huh? Must be urgent. Gardevior come out! Use teleport."

Gardevior teleports Brendan to the lab.

Brendan: "Hey dad. What's up?"

Professor Birch: "Oh Brendan! There's a message from Champion Steven Stone. He said he needs your help."

Brendan: "I'll check it out."

Brendan opens the message to see a hologram of Steven.

Steven: "Ah how are you Brendan? I'm sorry to put this on you, but one of my fellow champions needs your help. Kalos Champion Ash has requested your help at Professor Oak's Mast High. I'm hoping you can help him out."

The hologram closes.

Brendan: "Kalos Champion Ash needs my help? But Master High's in Kanto, how am I going to get there?"