It Came From the Depths: Part 3

Brooke's POV:

Leo: "How did you do that?"

Me: "Simple. I treated him like he wasn't a master. Plus, he had this look in his eyes like his anger blinded him. I've had similar situations with Raph, so I know how to handle these things."

Splinter: "To show understanding and care for someone in need is an admirable skill, indeed. But I will need an explanation before further action is taken."

I turn to Splinter with a nod.

Me: "We found him being attacked by the Kraang. Mikey & I brought him home to tend to his wounds properly. It reminded me of how I had lived before you found me and brought me here to live amongst you as a part of your family. I understand his anger could be a problem, but who's angrier than Raph?"

Splinter smiles with pride.

Splinter: "Your sister is right. No matter their appearance, there is no monster more dangerous than a lack of compassion. But, what is this about the Kraang?"

Leo: "They were trying to force him to tell them where they could find this power cell."

Splinter: "And he refused to tell?"

Me: "Yes, no matter his pain, he remained strong against his adversaries."

Splinter: "Hmm. I see. You and Michelangelo made a wise decision."

Leo, Donnie & Raph: "Huh?"

Splinter: "Yes, I never thought I'd hear myself say that either."

Splinter gently runs a hand against one of the alligator's scars.

Splinter: "His scars run deep, but they protect a genuine heart. Brooke, Michelangelo, when he awakens, you must find a way to befriend him. We need to learn all he knows about the Kraang. In the meantime, you three try to find this power cell before the Kraang can."

Donnie: "But, we're still chaining him up right?"

I glare at Donnie before Splinter clears his throat. He gives me a knowing look, so I lower my head with a sigh.

Me: "Yes."

Donnie and Leo step forward to chain up the gator while Raph puts an arm around me in reassurance.

Raph: "You see yourself in him, don't you?"

Me: "If Splinter hadn't found me, I'm afraid I might have become this somehow."

Raph: "Even if you had, no one puts chains on my girl, even if she was a creepy crocodile."

I laugh with a nudge of his plastron.

Me: "Alligator."

Raph shrugs his shoulders with a smile.

Raph: "Same difference."

Donnie: "Actually, alligators have a wide, rounded, u-shaped snout, while crocodiles have long, pointed, v-shaped snouts."

Donnie continues with the differences between crocs and gators as he and Leo walk out of the lair, Raph following behind them with a groan.

Me: "You had this coming, Raphael."

Raph: "I know, but, why?"

{Time skip}

A little while later, the alligator wakes up dazed and confused.

Leatherhead: "Where am I?"

He pulls his hands against the chains, standing up with an angry roar. Mikey's in the kitchen making our guest some soup while I sit on the couch waiting for him to wake up. Mikey then walks in, holding a pot and smiling at the alligator.

Mikey: "Well, look who's awake."

Leatherhead: "You! Set me free!"

I cautiously walk to stand before him.

Me: "I apologize for the chains. We were against them, but our father was very persistent."

Leatherhead: "Who are you? What am I doing here?"

Me: "My name is Brooke, and this is my brother Michelangelo. We saved you from the Kraang."

Suddenly, his eyes glaze over again as he roars. Ok, don't mention the k-word.

Mikey: "Whoa, whoa! Take it easy. It's ok. You're safe. Remember? My sister lulled you to sleep a while ago."

Leatherhead: "Yes. Why were you not afraid of me?"

Me: "Because I know you're harmless. A few years ago, I was a lot like you. Scared, hurt, and alone, and I thought I'd stay that way. But these guys gave me a home and a family. You can trust them, and you can trust me."

Mikey: "Yeah. We brought you here so you could get better. And nothing will heal you faster than my world famous pizza noodle soup."

Mikey holds out a spoon for the gator to eat from. The gator slurps up the soup and smiles in delight.

Leatherhead: "This is the best thing I have ever tasted."

Mikey smiles in surprise while I pat him on the shoulder.

Me: "I told you you'd get 'em next time."

Mikey: "All right! Somebody finally likes my cooking."

Leatherhead calmly sits down as Mikey feeds him more soup. I smile and walk back over to sit on the couch, positive that everything's fine now.

Me: "Hey, I forgot to ask. What's your name?"

Leatherhead: "I do not have one."

Me: "Then, lucky for you, Mikey considers himself an expert at naming things."

Mikey looks Leatherhead over to come up with the perfect name.

Mikey: "Your head is kinda leathery. How about 'Headleather'? Heather? No, wait. Leatherhead! Even better, Leatherhead."

Leatherhead: "Leatherhead it is. Thank you."

Mikey: "No problemo. It's kinda my specialty. So, why'd you go all crazy eyes on our brother Donnie?"

Leatherhead turns to me for a description.

Me: "Tall, purple mask? You shook his head instead of his hand. I think I know why, but I'd like to hear it in your own words."

Leatherhead: "There are times when I lose control. When I awaken, I am horrified by what I have done. A monster like me deserves to be chained."

Me: "You're not a monster."

Mikey: "You just feel that way because everyone treats you that way."

Leatherhead: "You are both wise beyond your years."

Mikey: "Yeah, we get that a lot."

Leatherhead: "Brooke, may I ask how you ended up alone?"

TO BE CONTINUED