Rise of the Turtles: Part 4

{A/N: Photo above is Brooke's weapon}

Brooke's POV:

After we assure her that she could trust us, and she assures us that we can do the same with her, we take her to the lair for some questioning. I stay with her in the living room, while the guys walk to the dojo to discuss things with Splinter. We talk for a while to get to know one another better. Apparently, she's only a year older than us. Once we establish a sisterly bond, I decide to ask her some questions of a more serious matter.

Me: "This is nice. As much as I love my brothers, I could use a sister. So, what does your dad do for a living?"

April: "Oh, he's a psychiatrist. He mostly studies animal behavior, like rats running through mazes for a piece of cheese. No offense to your dad. Why?"

I smile at her use of irony.

Me: "None taken. Dad likes a good maze. As for your question, we need to better understand why those people were after your dad. His line of work might have something to do with it."

April: "Got it. So, how did you meet these guys? I mean, we all got to talking on the way here. They seem nice enough, but how are you so calm amongst all this chaos?"

I nod in understanding, before turning to face the entrance of the dojo.

Me: "Well, I don't remember much but I do remember that I bumped into Dad when I was 5 years old. I didn't have any family, friends, or anyplace else to turn. So, he took me in, gave me a home, and introduced me to his adoptive sons, my brothers. A year later, he began training us in the ways of ninjitsu. Now, we're ninjas, fighting against people like the ones who kidnapped your dad. Though, full disclosure, while this is my first time above-ground in 10 years, this is their first time on the surface ever."

April's eyes widen in understanding as I turn back to face her. Not long after, the guys walk towards us as we turn to them and stand in recognition of their presence.

Me: "So, how much trouble are we in?"

Raph: "Well, basically, we're not in trouble and we can go save April's dad. But, Sensei wants you to stay here with her."

Before I can object, Leo puts his hand up as he continues Raph's statement.

Leo: "Brooke, it's for your own good. We all know how skilled you are as a fighter, but she needs to stay here so those weirdos can't find her if they decide to kidnap her along with her dad. And since you're the most responsible & mature out of all of us, you need to stay with her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself or break anything. That last part is more Sensei's concern than ours. Also, he named you & I as the new leaders of the team."

My eyes widen in shock as I look to the ground. Me, in charge of my brothers? Leo I understand, he has all the qualities of a good leader, but me? Well, if Splinter feels that this is the right choice, I will honor his decision. I lift my gaze to face the others with a nod.

Me: "Understood. Well, good luck. You'll need it. One last thing, her dad works in science. That may be part of the reason why they took him."

They all nod, grateful for my understanding of these revelations. They then run out towards the lair's exit before Raph turns to me with a smile.

Raph: "Hey, as far as I'm concerned you deserve to be out there, with us. Plus, knowing you, you're the leader we need. Besides, it's better than Mikey."

I nod with a grateful smile & laugh as he runs to follow our brothers. I turn back to April with a shrug of my shoulders.

Me: "So, April, care for a tour of our home, and maybe a chance to meet our Sensei?"

April: "Sure. But, how are they gonna find where my dad is?"

April: "Trust me, they'll find him. Donnie's the brains of our operation. So, as long as they have him, they'll be fine."

She nods before her look changes into a knowing smirk.

April: "So, you like Raph, huh?"

Me: "What? No, no way, I mean..."

April: "Don't worry, sister to sister, your secret's safe with me."

I nod with a smile in gratitude. Maybe we can trust her. Plus, with her around, I can finally have break from all the macho acts & cocky attitudes.

{Time skip}

April & I are sitting on the couch watching TV as we hear footsteps coming from the lair's entrance. I stand with my arms outstretched in front of April, my kamas in each hand. Once I see that my brothers have returned, I rush to them with April following suite. Leo shakes his head to answer the question on both our minds.

Leo: "I'm sorry, April. We couldn't get him back, not this time."

April: "Don't worry about it, the main thing is you got home safely. In the meantime, I can stay with my aunt. She doesn't live that far from here, so I can visit you guys after school as often as I can."

We all turn to her with grateful smiles. Her compassion for my brothers, despite the temporary loss of her father shows true heart. Afterwards, once Donnie takes April to her aunt's apartment, Leo & I enter the dojo to speak with Sensei. Once Leo explains what happened in my absence, I can't help but ask for an explanation as to why he made us the leaders of the team.

Me: "Father, I'm profoundly honored to have been chosen, but why choose me as leader? Why not Leo alone? He's much more qualified for the role than I am."

Splinter: "Your skills surpass that of most kunoichis at your age, yet you still exhibit doubt of your qualifications as a member of the team. You are correct that Leo has the skills to be a good leader. But with your skills combined, you will both lead this team to greatness. Of this, I am certain."

I bow in recognition of these words of wisdom. As we both leave the dojo, Leo stops me in my tracks by putting a hand on my shoulder.

Leo: "He's not wrong, sis. Whether you believe it or not, you are, and always will be, an excellent ninja. I am honored to lead by your side."

He then pulls me into a brotherly hug, which I gratefully return.

Me: "Thanks, big brother. And the honor is all mine."

We then jump out of our embrace as we hear Mikey's screams of terror as he runs past us, Raph hot on his tail with a look of anger. We roll our eyes at the sight as we run after them to do some damage control.

Call it whatever you like, but for me, this is as good as life can get. To me, they're not freaks, monsters, or whatever else the people of New York might call them. To me, they're just family, and that's more than enough for me.

END OF EPISODE ONE