Christmas Past

"I'm sorry it wasn't the reunion you wanted." Narcissa sighed as we sat around the table having dinner that evening.

"It's OK. I never really expected anything from him. I just wanted to make sure he was OK."

"I still say he is an asshole for hitting you. If I ever see him again I will give him troll ears!" Andromeda huffed.

"I will help you!" Theo added nodding.

"Thank you but I am fine. Honestly."

Just to lighten the mood, at that moment, Teddy blew a raspberry and his mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy went spewing over nearly everyone at the table.

"Cheers mate," Draco groaned. Teddy just smiled in response.

I stood and began collecting the plates and bringing them to the counter, casting a spell which made them spring to life and begin washing themselves along with the pots and pans.

"Ok it's Christmas Eve. Who wants a mulled wine and some more gingerbread?"

There was a round if 'yes' as I spooned glass fulls from the pot on the stove. Draco stood watching me as everyone else headed into the living room.

"You sure you're OK?' He asked.

"Well I mean I've had better chats with him but at least I tired. I'm glad I went to see him. If only to see the care he is getting. It sounds bad but I don't feel much of anything for him anymore. He was never much of a father to me."

"I know the feeling." He muttered

"Oh Merlin, don't tell me he was your father too? If so what I had planned for you later is very sick and very illegal."

He threw a tea towel at me.

"Obviously not. Look at me...I am definitely a Malfoy. No I mean I know what it's like not to feel much for your father. Mine was always very hard on me and unbelievably condescending."

"I'm sorry love." I brushed the back of my hand against his cheek.

He shrugged. "I don't need him. I have you. You are all I will ever need." He leaned in and kissed me.

"Well right now I need you to grab that tray and follow me." I winked at him as I lifted my own tray and headed in to join the others.

We spent the rest of the evening drinking mulled wine and eating way too much junk food. Narcissa and Andromeda had made mince pies and Azaleah had made me my own little lemon pies and apple pies as she knew I don't like the mince meat.

Teddy, who had learnt to sit up recently and crawl, just drifted from one person to the other - realistically whoever had food in their hand at that moment.

"What is your best Christmas memory Raelyn?" Azaleah asked to breakn the silence that had settled in the room.

I had to think hard before I came up with one. Christmas was my mother's favourite time of year and she always made a huge deal out of it.

A tradition I planned to carry on with my own family one day.

"Probably when I was about 8 years old. I was crying because my dad had bought Cedric a chess set and loads of sweets and I got a box of black liquorice which I hate. My Grandpa and Grandma Diggory arrived and scolded dad for treating me badly and my Granda spent the full 3 weeks of holidays spoiling me. He bought me dresses, bows, toys and books and he brought me to get ice-cream and out for dinner and he took me flying every evening to watch the stars. I was spoilt."

"Aw that sounds amazing! Mine was probably the year of the snow storm. 3rd year remember? I spent the holidays with you as my parents were away and we were snowed in with that horrible blizzard. So we spent the holidays in our pyjamas, watching movies, playing games, baking and torturing Cedric and Nate. Your mum was always so welcoming to me."