Chapter 100

Atty. Christine Villeza

I didn't know what to feel right now. Mixed emotions. Habang nanonood ako ng isang video na ngayon ko lang nakita ay bahagya akong kinabahan pero mas lamang ang tuwa. Wala akong pakialam kahit na nasa kotse pa ako ngayon at nanonood. I was happy to reminisce my memories with them and I felt like I was in this moment again.

"YOU SHOULD NOT be good only in criminal law.  You must also show the same eagerness to learn and memorize the contents of the Civil Code of the Philippines. We were now discussing the civil law first thing in the morning."

That's what Prof. Natasha Magnaye said while sharply glancing at each of us. Kahit na nakapag-review naman ako kagabi ay kinakabaahan pa rin ako. This is a graded recitation and if I messed up, my grades will be fucked up. I don't want that to happen here in my law school days.

"Mr. Bright Harris!" she called, looking at the index cards on her hands. Those index cards with our names were shuffled on her hands while she was randomly calling one of us. Doon nakasalalay ang future ko. Kapag talaga ako bumagsak dito, magdadabog ako. "It tells us that a partnership begins from the moment of the execution of the contract unless it is otherwise stipulated."

Bright Harris answered in bliss. Hindi man lang siya huminga o kumurap pagkatanong niya sa kaniya no'n. "Article 1784 of Chapter 2,  Section 1."

"Next. Article 1786?"

"Article 1786 states that every partner is a debtor of the partnership for whatever he may have promised to contribute thereto," Bright answered again without hesitation.

"How 'bout Article 19?" Prof Magnaye suddenly asked and raised her eyebrows.

Bright was taken aback, he didn't know what to answer. Kung kanina'y naka-focus sa business law ng Civil Code of the Philippines yung mga tanong ni Prof, ngayon ay napunta bigla sa bandang unahan ng civil code. Kahit ako naman ay mahihirapan kung biglang maiiba yung topic, but I guess that's how courtrooms work.

Another student from the class stood up and answered Prof instead. "Article 19 states that every person must, in the exercise of his rights and in the performance of his duties, act with justice, give everyone his due, and observe honesty and good faith."

It was Jelsey Santos, my friend. She answered with a straight face but still managed to look at me when I looked back. Nasa likod ko kasi siya kaya nang magtagpo ang mga mat namin ay agad kaming nagpigil ng tawa.

"She's wrong." Another man from the class, Dark Alvarez, stood up and subjected with his coldstone expression. Nanatiling nakatayo si Bright at si Jelsey habang naghihintay sa hinaing ni Dark. "I think what she stated was Article 20 of the civil code."

Prof Magnaye chuckled, making almost all of us shiver. "You think, Mr. Alvarez? So we're talking about your opinion now and not the law?"

"I'm sorry, Prof----!"

Hindi na pinatapos ni Prof Magnaye si Dark sa pagsasalita at agad na bumunot ng isa pang papel. My heart sank in an instant when I heard her call my name. "Ms. Christine Villeza. Is Mr. Alvarez's statement correct?"

Kahit na parang lutang pa rin ang isip ko ay agad din akong magsalita. Hindi siya magtatanong ng ganyan kung tama ang sinabi ni Dark. "No, Prof. He is wrong. Ms. Jelsey Santos was right."

"Are you saying that just because Ms. Santos is your friend?" she asked, intriguing.

Natigil ako sa pagsasalita nang sabihin niya 'yon. I didn't expect that rebut from her, especially that was a subjective statement. She seems to be underestimating my sense of justice with that statement. "No, Prof. I know the law and I'm certain that Ms. Santos is right. I will not support her if she's wrong even if she's a friend."