Chapter 84

Atty. Christine Villeza

"That was unusual. I never thought that I would see that friend of yours wearing a smile."

"We're not friends!" I argued after Anthony said that. "We never became friends."

"That's cold." he replied.

Nasa office pa rin kami pero lumipat kami ng pwesto. Malaki naman ang office ni Jelsey, lumipat kami sa isang malaking sofa sa harap ng TV. Nakahiga ako habang ang ulo ko'y nasa hita ni Anthony. Si Jelsey naman ay nasa paahan ko, iniinom yung kape niya.

Pagkatapos kuhanin ni Jelsey ng kape mula kay Dark ay umalis na agad ang huli. It took me a minute before I moved on from that smile. "What was that behavior, Jelsey? Kailan pa natutong ngumiti 'yon?"

"Well, that was part of his job." Jelsey replied after taking a sip of her coffee. Kanina, sinubukan niyang utusan si Dark na dalhan din kami ng kape pero hindi ako pumayag. I just want him to get lost from my face. Ayokong bumalik pa siya para dalhan kami ng kape. "When he applied for a job, I asked him to always smile so he could get along with the others."

"Knowing that his reputation was ruined two years ago, do you really think smiling can help him recover?" I asked her. Napatingin ako kay Anthony nang tumigil ito sa paghaplos sa ulo ko. Nakatulog na pala ang gago.

"That'll help him than doing nothing, right?" Jelsey placed her cup of coffee on the huge circular table in front of us. Humiga ito sa paa ko kahit na wala akong medyas. "You know, he can't have a harmonous relationship to others with his attitude while wearing his infamous cold expression. Making him smile will make his life better here. He can keep his smile until he recovered his reputation so he can have something to brag."

"So you forced him?"

"I asked him." she corrected. "Nagulat nga ako noong bigla siyang ngumiti sa akin after siyang dalhin ng HR dito sa office ko. I hired him immediately."

Nang mangalay na ang leeg ko ay sinipa ko si Jelsey at bumangon na. I made Anthony's head rest on my shoulder while he's asleep. Si Jelsey naman ay binato ako ng unan habang hinihilot ang leeg niyang nasaktan sa pagkakasipa ko. "But why did you accept him here?" I asked her again.

"Why not?"

"Because he's a cheater? Remember when the Gray Shade of the Prosecution ganged up against me 3 years ago? Noong may hawak akong criminal case bilang prosecutor laban sa isang kilalang congressman?"

"Christine, we all know that the other son of a bitch was behind all of that manipulating of evidence. Even on Sandoval-criminal-case two years ago. The guy with his white suit leads the prosecution team." Jelsey reasoned out.

"He's still an accomplice, though." I subtly argued.

"He's still a great lawyer, Christine. This law firm has to have the nation's greatest lawyers, right? Habang kabilang tayo sa 1st generation best lawyers sa buong mundo, kasama din ang dalawang prosecutor na iyon. And besides, we, attorneys-at-law, tend to defend clients who deserves to have their freedom back."

"So you're sure that he changed his idealism of law and justice into better?"

"Not really. . . but I trust him this time." she said, looking blankly at the blank wall across us.

"You sound like you're into him." I said and chuckled.

As if on cue, Anthony wake up and weirdly looking at us while wiping his face with his black handkerchief. He gazed at Jelsey and threw her a question, "What was that again? You're into that asshole?" Hindi naman galit si Anthony, sadyang curious lang.