Chapter Fifty One: The First Time The Devil Cries

"Are we lost in our sense of destruction?"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

It happens.

The stretch of vacancy that runs through your chest, harbors you down against wishful beliefs as you stare at the varmint that was the cause of that certainty. Forgiveness becomes like a cry for help, as you become the enemy of your innocence; rage is so blinding, isn't it?

When a child no longer can feel the warmth of their parent.

When a child no longer seeks merriment.

That's when the devil fell to his knees and cried softly.

But who would ever wanna save evil?

Not the man standing in front of me. Not the father of the woman I fell for.

"Lisa Manoban?". He whispered in shock, not expecting to see me standing still in front of him.

"Yes, you got it right".

He opened his mouth to speak to me, but ended up turning to his daughter, "Jennie, what is she doing here?".

"Bringing my lover, to meet my real family and that excludes you, father". She hissed at him.

"How dare you raise your voice at me—". Another raise of his hand and I'm stopping him.

But they both cried. Jennie and Irene.

Irene cried into her hands as her sister started shaking from beside me, "Swing at me, father". She sighed heavily, "With all your strength, hurt me as you've always done". Her tone softened, "But, I'm not that weak one you can take for g-granted, no matter how much I love and care for you. I won't take this a-abuse".

He laughed, "Didn't know Manobans daughter can change you this much, what a shame".

"She's the giving human you've always wanted to be--".

Even though I was there to protect Jennie from him, the surprise was Irene, who screamed, "Let her go! Please, stop".

"Stop this madness!".

The man stood defeated and gazed at his daughter who looked so pale in her bed. Irene was shaken up by what she saw. She blinked at him and when he came closer she whispered, "Please, don't, father". Disbelief was written all over his face, "What are you saying, Irene?".

"You heard me, dad".

"Don't do this to me..". He spoke in broken whispers for the first time.  "I can't lose you, daughter. I just got you back". Believe it or not, he was crying.

"If you're willing to lose and hurt Jennie, you've lost me too, father".

Brutal words, but they were honest ones. Irene looked at him like he was some stranger. Not the one who was supposed to be there for her. The panic that rushed through him, reminded me of how my father must've felt; getting stabbed in the back by his partner and friend, knowing that he wouldn't be there, as his daughter grows up without him.