Chapter Forty: Ruby's Truth

"Even when you speak your truth, there will always be a void you can never fill in her"

Ruby's POV 英若ぇ

There are times when you meet someone who doesn't just give up—until they get to know you. There at times you can't do anything but give in, and let them know you. That one person who is a lover in bed, a charismatic blue to your oceans. But the truth is deceiving, it deceives both of our hearts.

The colors on her face vanished, and she was quick to wear her clothes as I did the same.

There was that same look of betrayal on her face when she saw me with Mark. But worse this time.

I waited for her to lash at me. Instead, she shook her head in disbelief—pain and horror took over her, as she whispered in broken whispers, "But why? Why would he murder my father?".

"They knew each other, and they weren't on the best terms. You can say your father, Manoban, fell on debts. He took money from mine, and of course, my father didn't like it..". I took a shaky breath, "My father wipes out whoever he thinks isn't worthy of wasting his time". The agony in my voice made me sound bitter, but I hated it. I hated him". Anyone who comes in his way of life becomes a target".

"Like the devil, he takes everything. Shakes hands with you, and leaves you out in the cold if you don't do what he wants".

By the look on her face, I can tell, she had too many questions that she felt like she couldn't have answers for, were now rushing through her head. The tears began rolling down my cheeks. Whatever fucked up shit I was telling, as selfish as it sounds. I didn't want her to go. I didn't want it to change, whatever we have. No matter how selfish that is.

I tried to compose myself. My eyes fill up with tears, even more, when I hear her voice saying "And what took you that long to tell me, Ruby?".

There goes that harsh tone in her voice, but who can blame her?

"For years, I've been searching for his killer. Even though everyone told me that it was a storm, I couldn't believe it. Even my mother claimed that he was stuck in it, that.. that was the reason he never came home. I searched and couldn't find anything.. but isn't this life ironic?". Her dull doe eyes met mine, "The one person I thought, maybe wouldn't fail me.. is the daughter of my father's killer".

I remained quiet.

"I'm sure your name isn't Ruby too". She sarcastically commented.

"It's Jennie".

"What?".

"Call me Jennie".

"Everything was a lie then..". Lisa looked away, she couldn't keep eye contact with me.

"No, Lisa. None of this is a lie—".

"Whatever happened between us was". She coldly cuts me off.

I've never seen her get this cold

I've never seen her get this cold. But there will always be so many sides to the moon at night, isn't it?

She looked at me strangely with her crossed arms and asked, "This explains why you refused to tell me anything about you".

I ruffled my hair anxiously, her calmness scared me. She didn't show a reaction, but her face looked distressed, anguished even.

Every moment was like torture.

I didn't know what to expect or predict, but she had to know everything.

"My father believes that those who don't follow through shall be whipped". I answered her questioning eyes. "He allows revenge to be his motto in life".

"Were you seeking revenge after me?".

My lips parted as she blinked at me. Waiting for me to answer but for some reason, it hurt me. The way she thinks ill of me. But, this isn't the woman who gently held me when I needed her to—this was a side to her, that I've never seen.

"No, Lisa". I replied, "I would never hurt you".

She stepped closer, "But you would rather hide it all behind a smile, isn't it?".

My heartstrings were nothing but strings for her to play with—as her voice enters my ears, it never fails to make chills run up and down my spine.

"Answer me, Ruby".

"Lisa". Her height towered over me as I spoke, "This revenge.. has nothing to do with you".

She raised a brow, "And how can I believe you, Ruby?".

"No one blames you, and it's hard to believe me, but you should know by now, Lisa. I never lied about anything. Everything I said is the truth, no matter how much it hurts but you have to know..". I breathed heavily, "You have to know before it's too late".

This is painful.. I'm hurting her, and myself too.

"My father wanted me to take revenge against one of your friends, Lisa".

Her eyes widened for a split second.

"And I roamed around Seoul in hopes that I get what he said done, but I couldn't". She was puzzled over my words, but I continued. "I couldn't do it, Lisa".

"You expect me to believe all of this?". She shot back.

Those doe eyes made me feel weak in ways no one could, but they were mystic and dark. The bright that rung in them was long gone. "Do you expect me to believe all of this when my friends are getting murdered one by one?".

"And what did my friends even do to your father?".

"More like what your friend did to my sister". I angrily muttered.