Chapter Twenty One: The More You know

"I stopped checking for monsters under the bed when I realized they were inside all of us"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

"Lunch. You asked if we can grab lunch together, why so?".

"It's a simple question, plus I don't know who would refuse an offer when it comes to food". I wiggled my eyebrows at her and watched her roll her eyes. "You're unbelievable".

"So lunch?".

"Fine, I will make an exception for you".

-

I don't know why, but I was nervous. I decided to take Ruby to this Japanese restaurant. She was silent—this woman's silence can be intimidating as hell. When I stopped the car, she turned to look at me. "A Japanese restaurant huh?".

"Well, I don't know what type of food you like and I thought that maybe we could eat here". I smacked my lips together. She hummed in return.

"We can go somewhere else if you don't want to eat here". I gently spoke.

"No". She muttered.

"What?".

"I like Sushi".

My eyes lit up at her simple words, but I covered my excitement with a smile, "Why did I see the hesitation in your eyes then?".

She shrugged and looked out the window, "Just surprised by your decision".

"I'm impressive, aren't I?".

"It takes a lot more than that, Lisa". She opened the car's door and got out without waiting for me.

'Why does this woman always find a reason to be this way?'.

I bit my lip, locked my car, and followed after her. Once we entered the restaurant, we were greeted by an old woman, who I was familiar with. I then bowed in respect, as Ruby smiled at the woman, doing the same. And let me tell you; her smile is breathtaking.

"Kon'nichiwa". The old woman; Himari, whose the owner of the restaurant greeted us and turned to me, "Finally decided to visit me?".

I nodded and smiled, "It's been a while and I miss your food, of course, you make the best dishes".

Himari smiled back, "I'm glad that you decided to visit, Lisa". She looked over at Ruby and her smile widened, "Having someone special with you?".

My eyes widened, I rubbed the back of my head and politely spoke to her, "A friend, wanted to show her your amazing cooking".

Hamari looked at me suspiciously.

Let this go, let this go, let this go.

"I see you brought a friend". She looked back at me as I sighed in relief and asked, "A table for two, please".

She nodded, "Lead the way".

We ended up sitting at one of the booths. She sat across from me as a waitress greeted us in the usual Japanese style, gave us the menus, and asked us what we would like to eat. I shifted my eyes to Ruby, who crossed her arms and said, "Your treat, enlighten me".

"We would like to have Udon, Sashimi, Yakitori, and Sushi". I smiled at the waitress, who reciprocated it, holding eye contact with me since I was the one speaking. "Two dishes each?". She inquired and wrote it down. I shrugged my head as she left our table.

"Even waitresses find a way to flirt with you, don't they?". Ruby asked, I nearly forgot she was with me on the table and blinked her way.

"She wasn't flirting". I protested and leaned back in my seat.

She rolled her eyes and changed the topic, "So what are we eating?".

"Well, the first dish is called Udon. Udon noodles are thick, chewy, and traditionally made from wheat flour and brine water. They are one of the three main noodle varieties eaten in Japan". I paused, "Udon noodles are often used in noodle soups, where they are served in a savory soup broth with various garnishes, like kind of combined into stir-fries, added to hot pots, served cold with a tsuyu or tentsuyu soup base on the side for dipping".

She listened carefully—her cat eyes studying my face as I spoke, not daring to interrupt. "Sashimi is raw fish or meat that has been expertly cut into thin slices and is typically served with daikon radish, pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce. It is possibly one of the most controversial dishes in all of the Japanese cuisine".

I licked my lips, "Sashimi varies from sushi in that sushi is nearly always made with vinegared rice and does not necessarily contain raw fish, whereas sashimi is almost always made with raw fish and is never served with rice. Sashimi must be made with as fresh a fish as possible, both to reduce the possibility of infection and because fresher fish makes for nicer sashimi".

Ruby tilted her head at me, leaning in close, her eyes dark but face soft, "And the rest?".

I was surprised that she still wanted to listen to me speak about food. "Well uh, Yakitori is little skewers of bite-sized chicken pieces seasoned with salt or coated with a sauce, or tare, made from mirin rice wine, soy sauce, sake alcohol, and sugar".

She didn't speak, instead, she just stared at me, I raised a brow, "What?".

"You sound passionate". Ruby sulked.

"I do?".

"Yes, it's a turn on"

Her eyes searched mine as I looked at her, clueless and starstruck. I opened my mouth to speak, but the waitress came again with the dishes, "Would you like to drink something?". She glanced at Ruby and then at me.

She smiled my way.

Okay, maybe she was being too smiley.

"Pass". Ruby monotoned.

"What about you?". The waitress didn't even pay her attention but turned to me, a bright smile shining through her as she looked at me. I chuckled softly and asked, "Do you guys have Melon Soda?".

"Of course! It's the main drink that catches the attention of our customers here with its sweet and fresh taste".

"Get us two Melon Sodas then".

"Noted, anything else?". She sweetly smiled, I opened my mouth to speak but Ruby's voice caught me and the waitress both by surprise.

Fuming feline eyes stare at the waitress.

"Great customer service is essential to your success. Customer service is equal parts communication and genuine attention to your diners. As a customer, I'm supposed to feel welcomed, not left out. Does that match your qualities here in this restaurant?". Her tone was bitter and I didn't even know why. There was this calm rage in her eyes like I was a puppet of her flames, I looked up at her close.

The waitress was shocked.

It looked like the girl was almost going to cry. I felt bad, but the waitress simply said, "Yes ma'am. Sorry". And left.

"Seriously what's up with you?". I leaned in, my face frowning in return. Instead of hearing an apology, she angrily grabbed me by my shirt to her face. "I won't tolerate you flirting, Lisa".

"Not with her or anyone".