Chapter Twenty Four: Slipped Away

"Almost entangled but her beauty should be a crime"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

I can't let her leave just like that. For some reason, my body took a while to function. She's leaving the restaurant, get your ass up. I placed the money for the food and the sodas on the table and rushed out of the restaurant. I didn't even have time to thank the old woman, who looked suspicious at me the whole time but understanding—so she just smiled as I waved at her.

"Ruby!".

I called for the woman and started walking, trying to catch up to her.

She didn't even wait or turn around—but called a cab and enter it. I licked my lips as she looked at me through the window, before I was able to speak, the car took off.

She appears out of nowhere.. makes me question everything and then disappears again.

I stood there confused, watching her escape my sight just like that. I wondered what was hidden behind those eyes and how she confused my being with the way I desired her.

My phone started ringing, with a heavy sigh, I answered the phone, "Hello?".

"Lisa, good that you answered". A husky voice trailed off.

"Who is this?".

"Officer Taehyung, hope you're not in a rush and that I'm not causing you disturbance or anything". A soft chuckle left his mouth.

"No, it's okay. I just finished having lunch".

"Come by my office at 5?".

I nodded like he can hear me and muttered, "Will be there".

Ruby's POV 英若ぇ

Tick Tock.

Time is ticking like a bomb.

When the doors of his office opened.

The air of betrayal hit me like a stone. A captured feeling was the look in the man's eyes who welcomed me into his office.

"Ruby! Good to see you here". My hand was pulled into his, as he kissed the back of it. Normally, I would've flinched—but that isn't something I can show to him or anyone.

I smiled brightly.

He is handsome, well presented, rich with honey dripping from his voice—there was a piece of soft classical music playing in his office. Women find men like him appealing, letting the outer facade, interlude with their realities like they were playing chess.

Amusing, so amusing.

But he wasn't her.

Unlike her..

She was the most gentle of souls, a demon and a fighter in bed. Lisa was the one with soft hands and a softer voice. This man was like armor, ready to invite me just by his eyes. But, I needed a defender. Her twisted words held my soul as if they were a newly opened bud as if nothing could be more precious, or dangerous perhaps..

Almost those thoughts of her turned me on.

When the air conditioner poured fresh air into the office, I just stood there in his office, barely whispering, "Pleasure is mine".

"Have a seat". He told me.

As he spoke, I had a sweet smile on my face, trying to listen to his speech. Keyword for everything; trying.

"I took the role of being a leader in this city—also because of how optimistic I am, how people usually rely on me and there is always a good side to businessmen like me, unlike the ideal thought of cruelty that is presented by many". He placed both of his palms on the table as he stood there, leaning in, staring down at me. "You caught my attention, Ruby".

I faked a giggle, "And that's one perk of being pretty".

"You really puzzle me". He pressed his lips together.

"How so?".

"Until now, the only thing I know about you is your name—nothing else. Like, you're stuck in a mystery box and it's hard to figure you out". The confused look on his face made me feel uncomfortable in my seat.

"Maybe.. because I'm not trying to get to know you". I rasped, keeping my voice as calm as possible.

There it was; the offended look on his face.

Maybe men like him are so easy to read.

A man like him—is the type to chant about his business, about his projects, and about how he was wealthy enough to have any women he desired.

He would always smile with a fake smile of his. A man like him will always think that life would be easier that way. To be kind to others, and compliment them while in reality, all he wanted to do was the opposite. But that would only make his life harder.

But I don't fall on my knees for no man.

What pathetic lies will he hear today huh?

"As you know Ruby, I travel a lot—so the chances are low for a woman to stay longer than a night or two with me". He had a smug on his face.

"Maybe they don't stay that long because they aren't interested either—". He slammed his hands on the table, I smiled to myself.

Another point goes to me.

"You're dead wrong". He pointed his finger at me, "Women like you should worship my dick, for all I know!".

I got up, to look him dead in the eye. "Ego bruised much?". Silence, that was my sign to speak up. "Women aren't objects and a man should simply accept a no".

I was about to walk away but turned around to mutter, "Oh, and by the way, whining about a woman's rejection, makes you and any other man less appealing".

"Ruby". He tried to stop me.

I can't let him stop me..

"Adios, Marky".

-

Once there was distance and I was able to breathe again, I stopped walking and simply sat down on a bench—my chest tightened.

I felt like a ruthless being, but even if I wanted to. I pay for my mistakes, not my sins.

I found myself again, mesmerized and haunted by the short memories. Her loveliness and my craving to touch her warm heart. Somehow imagining her gentle words in the soundless air, made me calm down. Yet how long can a woman wait for her fate?

Does it take more than gentleness for a woman to be a gentlewoman?