Chapter Thirty Nine: Tangled Heart

"The venomous truth always comes out from the prettiest creatures"

Author's POV 往壱案

Dwelling.

Remembrance.

Pain.

Guilt.

What factors does each bring to the other?

You can dwell upon your past—remember your pain and behold your guilt. Until all that remains are the ashes in your soul. Compromising every piece of you for a different sort of sacrifice. A tangled heart, a veil, and many suspects.

So, who can you trust?

"Perhaps that's my definition of speaking, princess"

"Perhaps that's my definition of speaking, princess". As soon as those words left Lisa's mouth, Ruby's lips parted. She didn't know whether to give in to those dominant eyes or to back off. But she was the one who told her to come—she told Lisa to come to her apartment, to drown in her warmth, and to let her body desire her.

She couldn't resist Lisa.

It started weighing down on her.

That feeling.

"Ruby?". She called for her but noticed the way the woman beside her was shivering like she was fragile, scared of letting her in.

Scared of facing the truth.

The Korean gulped hard, her body became tenser as every moment passed.

"What's wrong?". And there goes the worry in Lisa's eyes.

Biting her bottom lip hard, The feline eyes that met hers were watery. "Am I good enough?".

The question made Lisa raise her brow. She didn't know whether she was supposed to comfort her or stay silent. But she did was she was at best doing, she gently pulled Ruby's hand into hers. Caressed the back of it, before speaking, "Of course, you are".

When she turned to the side to look at her, she noticed how Ruby was inattentive. Like her mind, was swimming somewhere else. Concern clouded her eyes, as much as she tried to hide it.

She wanted nothing more than to be gone.. somewhere where she wouldn't have to meet Lisa, allow her to touch her, or for her to feel that way about her. In a world, where her demons are superior, her traditions and her toxic ways of living.

"Ruby, you're worthy of everything".

Of course, the Korean didn't see it. She didn't see what Lisa saw in her, she didn't understand why the woman beside her had the patience to be here with her—to pleasure her until her insides are nothing but a bubble for Lisa to explore. She felt fragile.

"And why do you say that?". Her voice cracked.

Instead of answering that, Lisa questioned her back, "Why are you lacking faith in yourself?".

Ruby traced circles in the back of Lisa's hand and allowed a tear to roll down her cheek. "Because the truth of it all—will only destroy.. you".

"What truth?".

"My truth, your past and them. Everything, Lisa". Ruby monotoned.

"Them?".

"Yes, them".

Lisa withdrew her hand and got up, "What do you mean?".

"You have to promise me first, that you're willing to listen to me". Ruby bit her bottom lip hard and stood up to face the woman her heart slowly took a hold of.

Lisa nodded for her to proceed.

"I have to start and say, that any of the things we did, weren't a lie, Lisa. I tried to fake it, to pretend that you're a one-night stand, a stranger that my body desired, but I would be lying to myself if I said that". As she looks deeper into Lisa's eyes, she notices the darkness engulfing the woman who stood before her. She couldn't back off.

Lisa had to know.

Even if she didn't guarantee that she would stay.

"I thought it will be this way for me forever.. but you make me feel alive, Lisa". She took a step closer to The Poet, leaned in closer, and touched her face. "You make it better.. you make all of it worthwhile".

The Thai remained quiet.

"And I swear to god, I swear Lisa.. I didn't know until you mentioned your past to me".  Confusion was written on Lisa's face, two worlds battling against a violent rush of words, thoughts, and the lingering feeling in the air.

"What's that supposed to mean?".

"Your father, Lisa..".

At the mention of that, Lisa's body shuddered. Her jaw clenched, a glassy look in her eyes, but a knife in the brown, like a forest set in fire and burning, turning into ashes. "Ruby..". She sharply inhaled.

"Your father was murdered, Lisa".

"What are you saying?". She tried to be calm, her father, after all, was a topic she can't touch or wrap her mind around. The sensitivity of the situation, made her take a step back.

"Your father wasn't taken away by that storm, he was murdered". Despite the awful truth, Ruby held her head up high. She had to face it, let her know, everything. Before the devil takes her power away from her, kills her for betraying the present, and him.

"Ruby.. do you know what you're saying?".

"Yes, Lisa. I'm aware". She gulped hard.

"And how do you know that?".

"That's because the killer is my father"