Chapter Twenty Two : Seoul & Sinners

"Time is trackless; I'm a sinner who worships the forbidden"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

"Seriously what's up with you?". I leaned in, my face frowning in return. Instead of hearing an apology, she angrily grabbed me by my shirt to her face. "I won't tolerate you flirting, Lisa".

"Not with her or anyone".

My throat went dry at the angry woman. I wasn't able to speak because they brought our food, Hamari herself brought our food, I smiled at the old woman, totally ignoring the heated moment that I just had with Ruby.

"Here dear". She placed our dishes down, "Enjoy your meals".

We started eating in silence, it was so awkward, to begin with, but luckily Ruby spoke up, "You work?".

I nodded and looked up from my food at her, "Yes, I work at this publishing company—we have many campaigns over different cities here in Korea and I'm kind of— a writer myself". I admitted proudly.

"A writer huh?". I didn't know if she was being sarcastic or sounded impressed.

No woman rejects authornim. Okay, maybe I should stop.

"Yes, a messy writer who is a master at work, lives in between paper sheets and books". I frowned.

"Did I bruise your ego?". Ruby raised a brow while eating her Sushi. This woman really likes Sushi.

"No, but you don't seem to believe me, miss Ruby. Shall I be hurt?".

Brown eyes test me, but she smiled..

That killer gummy smile.

"Rather be grateful for having me agree to be here". She stated.

"I'm in disbelief. You're the one who's supposed to be happy to be here.. y'know being treated for a meal— free food? That's a very pleasant thing".

She glared my way—a playful look in her eyes. "It was your idea".

I chuckled heartedly and asked, "Fair enough. So do you work Ruby?".

That's when she stopped eating.

"Why are you asking? Want me to work for you or something?". She smirked, chewing slowly.

A master at playing with words.

"Work in what way are we speaking?". I asked, licking my lips— grabbing the Soda.

"You're a pervert you know that?".

I threw my head back laughing.

"And you're easy to irritate, Ruby. I guess we can agree that we do have the Will to trigger one another".

She nodded and asked, "How long have you worked there?".

"The company?".

"Yeah".

"Well not that long ago, maybe a year? But I've been doing well, getting promotions and our clients are always happy with the results". I admitted.

"Do you like it?". She softly asked.

There goes the drum in my heart once again when she looked at me. Whatever harry potter spell she was using—she needs to stop using it while I'm eating noodles.

"My job?".

She nodded gently.

There was no sarcasm this time.

"I do. I'm always lost in the murk of my mind. It gets tiring sometimes, to force yourself to pour the remains of your brain cells into a paper or on a screen. I don't intend to imply that this is what it takes to be a writer; after all, my precious time turns palpable as a cloud of fanciness. Regardless, I'm still lost". I gulped down the Soda.

"Not clashing in a war with your coworkers?". She asked, almost tilting her head in admiration.

Admiration my gay ass.

This is Ruby we're talking about.

"My coworkers are nice. They tend to boost me up whenever there is a promotion. And they are kind of like my second family, I wouldn't see myself working anywhere else, to be honest. I even got offers from other companies bigger than the one I'm in, but loyalty comes first. I'm not after the money". I ranted and didn't notice the smile on her face until it slowly faded away.

Was she genuinely smiling?

"You aren't Korean?". She cocked a brow.

"I'm actually from Thailand, but I've moved here in a random decision making after dad opened his restaurant. I studied high school here though". I looked down at the drink, "But I don't regret coming back".

"I'm glad you came back then". Ruby smiled, her voice sounding so genuine for some reason. It was the first time that we exchange smiles without the need to tease one another.

"What's the best thing about living in this part of town?". I asked her.

Her beautiful eyes were moving around the restaurant, not being able to focus on one thing, rather there was an admirable look in her eyes.

"Well here in Seoul, almost every restaurant you visit will provide you with delicious meals. Even if the design appears to be shabby, there is no substandard food. In fact, the hole-in-the-wall restaurants managed by an ahjumma with little decor are where I had some of my favorite interpretations of authentic Korean cuisine". She paused and took her soda drink slowly.

"When you see restaurants like that, you know the food is what keeps people coming back for more. There is nightlife everywhere here. People favor Hongdae and Sinchon, meanwhile, foreigners prefer Itaewon—working people prefer Gangnam and the surrounding neighborhood. Which district you visit will determine the type of nightlife you have access to, and if clubbing isn't your style, there are plenty of inexpensive karaoke bars to choose from. In your very own karaoke area, you receive tambourines, wigs, and even amazing disco lighting. This town is just full of life".

Her gaze met mine, I was almost taken aback by the rasp in her voice when she muttered, "Full of sinners".

I licked my lips and leaned in closer, our faces inches apart, as I whispered; "But aren't sinners everywhere?".

"They are, but it takes time to find the one your body would sin for". She teased.

"Found that one yet?". I found myself brushing my lips against hers, teasing her in return, but Ruby smiled, almost sweetly; "Guess you have to find out, Lisa".