Chapter Twenty Five: The Circle

"Be aware of the town, when the lights are out, she comes around"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

When I made it into Taehyung's office, I was nervous. I don't know why but over the few weeks, everything has been changing in such a weird way. I bit my tongue from not cursing, so I cursed under my breath and entered his office.

"Lisa". He greeted me, his voice firm and as cold as ice.

I nodded his way, as he motioned for me to sit in front of him. "Do you know why I called you into my office today?".

I rubbed my hands together to calm myself down, anxiety was creeping from underneath my gaze as I looked at him. "I'm assuming it has to do with the murder of Kai".

"Exactly". He leaned back, a pen in his hand as he clicked it. "Last week, I might have accused you of something that you haven't done, but you should know that anyone in my place would do the same". He sighed heavily, "You can't trust anyone, even the ones close to you in this world as much as you do".

I nodded and spoke, "I understand, sir. But I told you, Kai and I were close friends back in high school. We parted ways and I didn't hear much from him—cause this is life, everything changed after high school".

"His mother still kept in contact with me when he traveled to the US though. And even if you assumed that I was the one who did it, what strong reason would make me do it?". I paused, "There is none, simply because I don't see violence as the answer to anything".

"I see". He raised his brows and then gently smiled, "But it's my job. I have to put everyone in the picture—draw lines on people, make everyone a suspect, even the ones close to him. Because those who knew him, have more reasons to murder him rather than the ones who aren't".

"I didn't kill him". I whispered, trying to keep my cool.

He tilted his head "But you can find his killer, Lisa".

"What?". My eyes widened.

"As you heard me, you. More than anyone can find who did it". He was still smiling, I sat there confused. "I know you're surprised. But think about it Lisa, the killer probably had their eyes on him for a while—way before. For a crime to be done that smoothly, without leaving any trace of evidence behind, that surely shows that the murderer knew what they were doing". His tone darkened, "The murderer knows what they are capable of".

My chest heaves heavily, my mind was racing with thoughts. "But how can I.. How will I know who did it?".

"You can lure the murderer in". He stood up, "Traps".

I shrugged my head, "No offense, but I don't think the one who killed him is dumb enough to fall for some traps by the victim's high school friend".

"The murderer knows you". He muttered.

My heart dropped. "What?".

Someone knocked on the door, and Taehyung told the person to come in. The sight of the other officer, Jungkook appeared in sight, he had gloves on—a few papers and a picture in his hand. When he placed it in front of me, my breath hitched. "Does this look familiar?". Taehyung asked.

"It's.. It's our senior party pic". My throat tightened. All of those memories, it's like they came out of pure dust. "Kai, Kyungsoo, Bambam, Jackson, Jisoo. Mino, Sehun, Mina and her girlfriend Chaeyoung, Momo then my ex-girlfriend Yeji". I gulped hard, "We took this picture after the party, I.. I remember each one of us had one. Kai was drunk out of his mind back then".

What I noticed was the red circle around Kai's face and then an 'X' on his face on the picture, "Whoever marked Kai's face is going after your friends next or maybe.. it could be one of your friends".

"No.. no way". I shrugged my head.

"Did Kai have any friends that he argued with a lot back then? Someone who always irritated him or ended up fighting with him?".

They both waited for me to answer.

Taehyung's expression compared to Jungkook was different; The man had a calm vibe to his flaming eyes, meanwhile Jungkook's passion was seen in his gaze and his body.

I could only think of one person.

"D.O". I replied.

"What?".

"A friend of ours, called Kyungsoo. I guess Kai and him had their differences, they argued a lot and were on the same Football team. There was always tension between them but Kyungsoo isn't the type to like violence at all, instead, he would isolate himself when he's angry and read books". I admitted.

"A jock and a nerd at the same time?". Taehyung chuckled, "That's so surprising, to be honest".

"They never had any physical fights?".

I shrugged my head, "Kai always ended up hugging Kyungsoo— who would eventually smile and give in. I guess that's their dynamic".

"Do you know where he lives?".

I didn't speak but glanced down at my hands. "Lisa, why are you not answering?". Taehyung's tone sharpened.

"Lisa, please cooperate with us". Jungkook softly spoke, "We just want justice for your friend—if you cooperate with us we will be able to bring some sort of peace into the situation. At least, do it for the friendship". He smiled at me.

"Alright". I whispered.