Chapter Thirty Five: Lure Her Shadows In

"Odd timings, for new beginnings that demand a sacrifice"

LISA' S POV び央ハ

I was guided into a tiny stage, my anxiety was taking a hold of me, but I had to bury those feelings—the fear inside of me. The press, the crowd, and my arrogant boss who stood there like he was bored and out of his mind. He has always told me that I'm one among the writers in who he doesn't see any progress—the degradation in his eyes has always made me look away. But there she sat, the beauty that sat before me. Ruby.

As those feline eyes stare at me, I nervously smile at the crowd. "Hello everyone. I would like to start and say that this has always been a dream of mine, to be able to portray my world in lines of alphabets and dramatic events—whether it's the poetry or this..". I picked my book and glanced at it, "Book of mine that is going to be out there, for people and all those fans of thriller and poetry to read".

The crowd clapped for me, as one of the press questioned, "Miss Lisa, how was the experience of making a book that is both poetic and thrilling to all of your fans?".

I don't know why, but my eyes shifted to Ruby. She nodded at me encouragingly, and I gulped hard and turned to the press. "It took time, but my efforts will pay off—I hope they get to read and live in the world I created by my ink, in all meanings".

The more I get questioned, the more I get anxious but I slowly started to be at ease—didn't get any negative questions but the spark of having my friends supporting me and then.. Ruby.

Why did her presence affect me this much?

Ruby's POV 英若ぇ

Putting myself in a position where I'm seen by people, had me focusing on the woman on stage. My attention wasn't given to anyone but her—She was good with her words and made me feel like a falcon as I focused on her. Women were drooling, men were interested but that shall not stop me from staring.

Her attention comes back to me.

Those big doe eyes, sin for me.

Her lips desire mine.

Mind so heavy, with thoughts of me.

I didn't have to worry about them. They don't know how much tension her darkness created. Legs crossed, I watched her smile and speak with passion dripping from her voice. So attentive—It's like once she stood on that stage, she owned it.

Lisa was the dreamy writer who women wanted, even just for the night.

The more she spoke, the more I found reasons to crave her.

My body wanted her to be on her knees, to eat me out until sunrise.

The press continued to ask Lisa, who was now more at ease, but a hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me up. Defensively, I almost punched the person but saw who it was. Mark. It was the same man who I resisted, but for good reasons.

"Ruby herself is here for Lisa? Who would've thought?".

I crossed my arms. Lisa didn't notice yet, and I was thankful for that. "Why wouldn't I be?". I smirked at him, "If only you know the things I would do for a gentlewoman like her".

He clenched his jaw, and pulled me with him, I didn't budge.

That's when he evilly smiled. "Come with me, Ruby".

"In your dreams". I spat.

"You need to realize that luck isn't on your side today". He whispered in my ear, making sure I hear every word carefully.

"What do you mean?".

He pulled me out of the crowd, to a place where Lisa wouldn't see me anymore. No one to be specific.

"Would you like to ruin the happiness on her face..?".

And that's when the realization hit me.

He was her boss.

He owned the company, I should've known. "Mark". I calmly spoke but he laughed and placed his hand to the side of my head.

"My name rings so brightly.. on your tongue, Ruby". He looked down at my body, "But it would sound better when you moan it instead".

I bit my tongue from saying anything but ended up pushing him away. "Where do you think you're going, Ruby?".

I started to walk away but his words stopped me.

"Don't you realize that I can stop this whole thing, with just a snap of my finger? I own this company, Ruby. I'm the head here—and you will always find your way back to me".

When I didn't listen to him and gave him my back, his voice became firm, "Go out there now, and I will make sure to never let Lisa see her name shine, Ruby".

"What's the point of all of this?". I questioned.

"It's a trade". He stood behind me, twirled me to face him, and whispered in my ear; "You give me your body.. I let her live that dream for now".

I was frozen.

Why couldn't I push him away?

Was it the fact that he would damage and break Lisa?

Why did I care?

But I was too late to push him away. Because the second he placed his lips on mine, was the second I heard that raspy voice call for me. "Ruby—Oh".

I pushed him away so hard and saw her standing there. With an unreadable look, watching the way he smiled at her. Like he won against her—like he won against time. The look of betrayal has settled upon her face as she blinked, trying to shake the image of what she saw. My lips parted, I didn't know what to say but to whisper her name, "Lisa.. ".

"I..I get it now". She weakly smiled at me. "You didn't come for me, Ruby".

"Got that right". Mark muttered, smiling at us both.

"No, Lisa—He..". I looked at the two of them and saw the sharp look on his face. I couldn't tell her, and I couldn't break her. Fate pulled me back.

She was quick to give me her back and to walk away.

"One night, Ruby". With that, he left too.

How worse can this get?