Chapter 40

Sandro

I entered my car as fast as I could when I've noticed that it was already past 10:30 pm. I put my hand on the wheel and drove back to the condo. I managed to call her phone but she didn't respond. I saw Maggie's messages and she threatened to leave if I don't come back home by 11. I opened the door to my condo and I immediately saw the table fully prepped and the food with covers but Maggie was nowhere to be found. I walked around the condo and figured maybe she did leave. 

I opened the door to my room and saw my girlfriend laying down on the bed with a red dress on that I helped her pick out. I went up to her and saw her eyes closed. The pillow was stained with tears and her mascara spread all over her cheeks. 

Shit, ano nanaman ba tong nagawa ko?

"Maggie?" I called. Tinapik tapik ko siya pero hindi pa ren nagigising. 

"Baby? I'm sorry, please wake up" Sinuklay ko naman yung buhok niya at ginising ulit siya. Nabuksan naman niya mga mata niya na namamaga dahil sa pag iyak niya siguro. Pinunasan na niya ang mga mata niya at tumingin sakin. 

"I'm sorry, babe. I really am" I put my hands on her cheeks but she quickly moved away from me. I watched her stand up and gather her things. 

Maggie

I picked up my things at nilagay na sila sa bag habang nakaupo pa din si Sandro sa kama. I went outside the bedroom and grab my things from the living room ng bigla ko naramdaman yakap ni Sandro. 

"Please don't go" he whispered. Napaluha na ako nang narinig ko ang mga sinabi niya. 

"I'm sorry, baby. I really am, I got so up with work and the little celebration we had" he added

"Celebration?" I turned around and asked him. His eyes were stained as well as mine. 

"After the campaign, they insisted I joined them for a couple of minutes before I go home to you" Tinitigan ko siya at hindi ako makapaniwala sa sinabi niya. He promised he would come home. He kept telling me over and over again to not forget and now... It's all ruined. I sat down on the couch at di ko na alam kung ano pa masasabi ko. 

"I can not believe you" I whispered. Tumayo ako at lumayo sakanya. 

"I can not believe you!" I yelled. Nagulat si Sandro at sinubukan akong lapitan pero tinulak siya.

"No! You promised! You promised you would come home! You promised last week we would have dinner! and you PROMISED na babawi ka nung susunod na araw na yon!" 

"Maggie, I know! I fucked up. What am I supposed to do? not attend the party?" Sigaw niya

"What were you supposed to do?! You could've kept your schedule in line! and not promised every single time you fuck up!" Hindi ko na kinaya ang sarili ko at nilabas na ang saloobin ko. He promised last week that we would have dinner because he wanted to make it up to me. He said last minute that he couldn't come because of a problem with work. He promised the next day that he would again make it up to me but didn't show up either. I was left at the restaurant waiting for him but I forgave him. I understand how much his work and his life are now but making promises that we would spend time is making it really hard to forgive him. 

"I have my schedule in line! I have my time in line but I can't do it the way I wanna do it because my girlfriend gets mad every time I don't show up to her little dinner invitation! I have a life, Maggie. I am running for congress and how about you? what are you doing? are you trying to persuade everyone? are you trying to help your dad? your siblings? your city? No!" I looked at him and saw that he was in full rage.