Getting better

Bucky could barely sit still through supper, knowing that you were still in surgery. They had been at it for hours already, and he had wanted to see you for himself before he went to his VA meeting. Wanda gave him a soft smile, and tried to give him some encouraging words but it was for naught. Steve patted him on the shoulder.
"Its just to get the rest out pal, she's going to be fine" Steve spoke gently.
"No wonder she's been so sick and in so much pain. I should have clued in" Bucky was shaking his head at himself.
"None of us thought of it, stop being so hard on yourself" Bruce chirped up. "If Doctor Cho hadn't of caught it, that would be a different story. But she did, and Y/N is going to be fine. She's strong"
"I was just hopin ta see her before we left" Bucky gave in folding his arms.
"You'll see her tonight when we get home" Sam gave a reassuring smile. "You can probably sneak in her balcony door like you always do"
"She likes it when he does, he makes her feel safe" Loki shrugged as if it was common knowledge. A few people were looking at Bucky shocked.
"Its just sleeping" he flushed a bit.
"It helps with her nightmares, she doesn't feel safe often" Wanda gave a shy smile. "She's starting to come around to the rest of us at least"
Tony looked at his phone and sighed. "She's out of surgery, they are putting her in the regeneration machine now. They got out all of the shrapnel" he announced. "She's still under for now"
"That's good news, see Buck" Steve gave him a clap on the shoulder. "She will be awake by the time you get back"
"I'll grab Alpine before we go" Bucky got up from the table, still looking like he felt troubled.

You woke up slowly inside the regeneration machine feeling a lot better than you had when you fell asleep. You looked to your arm and saw the IV was still in pumping you full of antibiotics. Doctor Cho was sitting beside you watching her machine heal your skin. You still felt weak, but not in as much pain. You studied her for a few minutes before she clued in to that you were awake.
"Its almost done" she gave a soft smile. "I bet the pain is a bit better"
"Not as bad as before" you admitted, your voice coming out raspy.
"We got it all out, but I'm checking again tomorrow to make sure. Some of it was in your muscle tissue, making it a little harder to heal it after" she looked pointedly at your leg. "Some of your normal scars you had on your stomach also cleared up a bit since you've been in here so much" she added and you raised your head to look, and found yourself pleasantly surprised.
"I didn't want to wear a bikini because of some of those scars" you admitted.
"You don't have much of an excuse now" she gave a reassuring smile. "Look at that, all done" she smiled with relief. You heard the machine turn off and she opened the lid so you could get up. You went slowly still in a little bit of pain, but mainly just nauseous. "Take it slow, the infection will start clearing up a lot better now" she helped you and put a hand on your shoulder. You moved forward to slip off the table and felt a jolt in your legs as your feet hit the ground. You stood for a moment waiting to get your bearings and Doctor Cho put a shoulder under your arm and started leading you to the changing room. "Just take things slow for the next few days until the antibiotics are done running their course in liquid form. We will change it to pill form for a week, and you should be back to your old self by then"
"I can start going for my runs again?" you gave a small smile.
"All you want" she nodded. "You'll be back in the sparring ring too" she promised.
"I like the sounds of that" you sighed. "Back to recons"
"At least another week" she reminded you. "You need to heal"
"I've been healing" you rolled your eyes.
"Not as well as you could have been. I'm sorry for that" she did look sorry when she said it.
"No harm no foul doc. You saved my life; I owe you one" you grabbed your panties and slipped them on. She started handing you your clothes and you gave a grateful smile while getting dressed.
"Doc, I'm dying for a shower" you looked at her fully after a moment.
"Be careful of the IV, its probably not the best idea since you just got out of surgery. Be mindful of the bag as you get undressed" she reminded you and you nodded. "I'll help you to your room" she decided and waited for you to finish getting dressed before she walked you out.