You dreamt of being inside the base again, only this time the bullet didn't hit your collarbone, it hit you much lower and you woke up with a scream and scrambled off the bed. You felt something rip out of your arm, and thought it was another knife wound and you moved to the corner of the bedroom trying to get your bearings. Daisy was at your face licking it and Alpine came over purring loudly trying to get up on your shoulder but you couldn't stop screaming. You started having flashbacks of all the times you got hit with knives or bullets inside of the base, of all the people that you froze and smashed. The buses of children that you didn't save. You heard sounds in your bedroom and Daisy growling and barking but you were too far gone. You felt someone pick you up and holding you closely and you could smell leather and pine and started to come around again. Daisy was going crazy barking and growling and you heard a deep voice grunt beside your ear.
"Come on girl, come back" you heard Sam's voice.
"You're safe" you heard Bucky's voice kept whispering over and over in your ear.
"I've got Daisy, she's not happy about it" Steve's voice came through. You stopped screaming and felt yourself still hyperventilating.
"Come back to me doll, you're safe" you heard Bucky whisper in your ear. You hiccupped and buried your head in the crook of his neck trying to take in his scent. "That's my girl. Breathe slowly" he coaxed you and you gave a small nod. You felt him rocking you slightly and you started to relax.
"Buck, I don't know how much longer I can keep Daisy from trying to attack you again" Steve warned.
"She's going to have to get used to it. I'm here to take care of her too now" Bucky's voice vibrated through your whole body, and you flushed a bit.
"I'm okay" you finally squeaked out.
"Another nightmare?" Bucky asked gently, and you could only nod. "Was it in the base, or when you were a kid?"
"Base" you whispered.
"I've got you" he kissed your forehead and sat on the side of the bed with you still in his lap. You looked up to see Steve letting go of Daisy who launched herself at you and started licking your face again.
"Let me check your leg" Steve came over and lifted Bucky's pant leg. "She didn't break the skin" he assessed.
"Did Daisy bite you?" you looked at Bucky worriedly.
"She was protecting you, I don't blame her" Bucky shrugged. "But I wanted to protect you too"
"I'm going to go get Cho, she ripped the IV out" Sam walked out. You looked down and saw there was blood running down your arm and, on the floor, and scrunched your nose.
"Someone will come in and clean it up, don't worry" Steve gave a small smile.
"I should clean it" you shook your head, still holding on close to Bucky.
"Just let us take care of you Y/N" Steve chuckled.
Sam came back in a few minutes later with Doctor Cho while Bucky was still holding you close and rocking you slightly. You found it soothing.
"Nightmare?" Doctor Cho came over with a knowing look. Daisy gave a small growl, but you gave her a kiss between the ears and shushed her. "I thought the meds were stopping the nightmares, you haven't had one in a while. I remember I used to hear your screams even in my dormitory" she took your arm and started cleaning it before putting a large band-aid over the wound.
"It wasn't the meds" you flushed a bright red, and felt Bucky smirk as he kissed you on the forehead again. "I just felt safe" you continued looking up at Bucky's smiling face for a moment, and he leaned down and kissed you gently on the lips.
"It's good you've been feeling safer" she decided to let the intimate exchange go. "We are going to have to go with the other arm this time. The bloodwork isn't looking too good, we are going to have to do some x-rays. Thankfully, Bruce and Tony have that here so we don't have to leave the compound. I think I missed some shrapnel. If that's the case, then we will do the surgery in the lab, put you back in the regeneration machine and you should be healing a lot quicker this time around" she came over and started prepping your arm, this time going to put the needle higher up on the other arm. You could still see bruising from the other IV's that you had ripped out previously showing on your skin. You pouted slightly as she taped it on a bit thicker this time. Doctor Cho put the antibiotics bag back on again and gave you a sad smile.
"I'll carry you to lunch doll" Bucky announced quickly. "Its almost lunch time"
"I can walk" you started to argue.
"Let me take care of my dame" Bucky shook his head.
"I'll bring the IV" Sam offered as Bucky stood up and you wrapped your arms around his neck. Sam came over to grab the IV pole while Steve carried Daisy. Alpine crawled up Bucky's side, and perched himself on his shoulder giving a tiny mew. Doctor Cho took care of the door as they took you to lunch.