【128】

The next morning things were quiet and considering the war at hand, that was more terrifying than anything.

Things went on as normal, meals, rations, preparations, and words of support traded all around.

Then, there was the distant sound of a car horn, soon followed by a second. 

Kal and Eduardo lean over the walls, both screaming in sync, "Saviors!"

"Everyone go! You know your positions!" Maggie shouts before she and Tina are rushing off.

I pick my bat up, the familiar weight making me feel at ease as dad, Taeyang, and I make our way another route.

"They have the big trucks," Rick informs, catching up to us, "They could have Carson, Eugene, and Gabriel."

"What do we do if Eugene is still on their side?" I question.

Rick checks the bullets in his gun, shaking his head with a sigh, "We do what we have to."

The trucks engines are soon heard before stopping outside the gates.

"Hello! Hello!" a voice shouts after a door closes.

"That's not Negan," I note, "That's Simon."

"He's still on the list," Cyndie whispers.

"It seems your little plan did not go.. Well.. As planned, now did it?" Simon asks, "So, how about we make this easy on you all? The Widow Rhee and I had a nice talk the other night that you people would get back to your sorghum and tomatoes.. I'm here for that pickup now."

Maggie and Tina return behind us, one of the Savior men from the pen with them. Maggie looks to each of us before pulling the walkie talkie to her lips.

"Negan. I want to speak to Negan," she demands.

Distantly, I could hear Simon's laugh on the other side of the gate until his voice is coming through the radio.

"Ah, Widow Rhee. How nice of an afternoon is it? I think it's a magnificent one to open the gates, how about you?" he asks.

"Negan.. Put him on," she orders again.

"Well, now, the boss man isn't here. Don't you think he would be the one knock-knock-knocking if he was? Besides, we have a good relationship, you and I. Maybe not as good as what Gregory and I once had.. Where is that neckbearded bastard, anyway?"

I glance to the pens, Gregory watching from inside with wide eyes as he tries to listen in.

"I have thirty seven of your people. You have three of mine. Might that be a better discussion you wanna have?"

When Simon doesn't respond, Maggie looks to the prisoner, "Alden."

With his name said, he looks over to her and nods. Maggie places the radio near his mouth, pressing the button so he could be heard.

"Don't be stupid, Simon. Let's do this right, man," Alden requests.

Maggie returns the radio to her mouth, "Carson, Eugene, and Gabriel. Give me my men back and I'll give you yours."

"Gabe.. Father Gabe is currently.. Indisposed," Simon hums, "And Eugene, well, by how he kisses Negan's boots clean, I wouldn't think he's your guy, either."

"What did you do to Gabriel?" she asks.

"Us? Well, we didn't do not a damn thing. He showed up to us all feverish and damn near the brink of death. Some kinda issue with his eyes- not a thing we did.." Simon informs, "Come to think of it, maybe you people and eyes have a theme going on."