【74】

Maggie paced back and forth on the porch as I leaned against the railing, watching her go as I lost count of how many times she was going in the circle.

"Need to stay here.. Need to stay here.. It can't be like her.. I can't.. Stay here.. I can't be like her.." she mutters to herself.

"Maggie?" I ask, growing dizzy from the pacing.

"Not like her.. I can't put someone.. Not like I did to her.. I can't.. Need to stay here.."

"Maggie!" I shout, making her jump.

Her eyes soften as she looks to me, her back and forth finally stopping.

"I'm sorry, Lori- Hana! Hana.. I'm.." she sighs, running her hands over her face.

"Lori?" I question.

This was the second time she's brought Lori out of nowhere.. Why was Lori weighing on her mind so much?

"Sorry, Hana. It's just.. This whole thing," she makes a big motion with her hands, "I'm just.."

"Lori?" I repeat.

Her eyes dart around nervously, shaking her head as her hands clasp together in front of her, "I just.. I don't.. God.."

Glenn had asked Taeyang and I to keep an eye on her. This was definitely something that would warrant that worry. But, what was bringing it on?

Lori.. She met Lori at the farm. They were close enough to discuss relationship issues, apparently. Then, at the prison they weren't as close since Maggie did more running and guarding.

But, Maggie was the one to perform the C-section..

The C-section that Lori gave her life to in order for Judith to survive..

'I can't be like her'- Maggie had said. She couldn't be like Lori?

"Maggie.. What-"

"I'm pregnant," Maggie blurts out.

I only stare at her for a second, her fingers twitching nervously in front of her.

"Pregnant?" I repeat the word I'd learned from Carl many years ago.

"I just found out yesterday," she gulps, "I started feeling weird and just.. I had a feeling. So, I got a test and.. and I'm pregnant."

Why had we not noticed anything?

Symptoms.. Symptoms.. What were Lori's symptoms?

Tired.. Lori got tired really easily.

Glenn looks down to the plate, "Ah.. Maggie isn't feeling too well. I think she's exhausted because she's not used to stuff like last night. I'm just bringing her breakfast to her so she can eat."

Food.. I'd given my food to Lori time and time again when she was pregnant and it never seemed to be enough.

Walking back into the house after my shift with Reg, I see only Maggie inside, scanning through the fridge. Setting my books down at the table, she turns to look, a candy bar in her mouth.

"Guys, why did no one tell me there were candy bars? Maggie just gave me one and I didn't know that was an option," Ben rants, walking straight into the room and sitting beside Mikey.

Glenn saw her more, though. Glenn could probably catch onto things I couldn't. And.. well, he did.

"If she starts acting different than normal, feeling different, or just.. anything. Anything she does or says that seems off, I need you to tell me."