【44】

The sight of Rick as we walked into the house made me stop in my tracks.

"Hana, thank god," he rasps out, looking weaker than I'd ever seen him before.

He stumbles forward with his arms open and I take a step away, closer to the door.

"Hana, it's him.. It's okay," Michonne assures.

"It's not okay because it's him," I state.

Rick frowns, his arms dropping to his side.

"You look like shit," I say.

"Yeah.. I know," he sighs.

"Do you feel like shit, too?"

"Yeah.. I do."

"Good," I shrug, beginning back to the door.

"Hey, where are you going?" Michonne panics.

"I was doing fine on my own," I lie.

"Alone with the Governor as your guardian?" she asks.

"The what?" Rick asks.

"She had him tied up. Walker. Just like I would've done. Just like I did," Michonne answers.

My hand on the doorknob clutches it tighter, my jaw clenching.

"It's not safe out there. Not alone," Rick worries.

"I'd rather be out there than with you."

Rick stutter over his words before sighing again, "I.. Did I do something?"

Michonne gives Carl a look and the two ease out of the room, leaving Rick and I alone.

"Hana?" he questions.

"You weren't the leader," I breathe.

Turning to look at him, I shake my head in anger as he frowns, his eyes sadder than usual.

"Carol was one of us and you kick her out? You think you had the leadership to banish her but you can't save two of our own people that were with that asshole? Hershel was the one to back you up on almost every decision you made and you.."

"I what, Hana?" he asks.

"You couldn't save him. And now, everyone else is gone, too. But, you have Carl and Michonne so I'm sure you don't mind that the rest of us are either dead or lost our family."

"That's not true. You're just as much my family as anyone else. Everyone was. Glenn, Maggie, Daryl, Beth, Tyreese, Julie, Taeyang, Bob, Sasha.. Even Hershel himself. You're all my family so don't say things like that."

When I'm silent, he leans down to see my eyes better.

"You know about Carol?" he asks.

"Julie overheard you and Daryl."

"I kicked her out because I wanted to save everyone. Because I wanted to save her. You think Tyreese would have just let it go if he found out she did it? Do you think things would be normal back there?"

He had a point. Tyreese was blind with anger over Karen's death. I wasn't sure how he would react if he found out it was Carol's doing and she was across the dinner table from him.

"I did it because my family needed to be safer. And my family includes you, Hana."

He steps closer, bandaged hand on my shoulder as he shakily inhales from his injuries.

"I'm sorry about Hershel. We'll find the others that are left.. Glenn, Maggie, Taeyang, Beth.. everyone we can," he promises.

"Okay," I nod.