【70】

Walking around the parking lot to check for exits, it was only right and natural that Taeyang and I were paired up.

"We're gonna have to tell hyung eventually," Taeyang sighs, "I know that Maggie knows, I swear she has a sense to figure it out. But, hyung.."

"I know," I nod, "After this. We'll tell him at dinner."

Taeyang nods in agreement and the conversation falls short as a walker emerges from behind two large eighteen wheeled trucks.

"I got it," I breathe, holding my bat up.

Taeyang holds his gun up to keep me covered as I step forward, exhaling shakily at the sight of the monster I hadn't seen in weeks.

Were they always so loud? So dirty? So scary?

Once it's close enough, I swing my bat to hit it with the blunt side. As it falls, I stand above it and slice the axe part down. Confusion goes through me as it continues to growl and grab at my pant leg.

"Shit," I mutter, placing my foot on it's shoulder to pull the blade back out.

"You good?" Taeyang asks.

With a grunt, I swing the bat back down, this one finally getting the job done. Already winded, I jerk it out once more and blow my hair out of my face as I turn back to Taeyang.

"Was it always that hard?" I question.

He forces a laugh, shaking his head, "Maybe you should've sat this one out. Got used to being out here again before actually coming."

"I can't remember what it's like out here if I'm not actually out here. This is getting used to it again," I remind.

He purses his lips, giving a shrug that was more 'I guess so' than a full agreement.

But, really.. Was it always that difficult?

--

The walk through the warehouse was kept quiet like any run in the past and I felt myself relax.

A run. I've done this a thousand times, this was familiar. I knew what I was doing and hated that I doubted myself for a second.

Eventually, Eugene found the router needed. Without hesitation, I place them in my bag, Tara and I working together to complete the task.

"How many?" Tara asks, looking between Eugene and I.

"Reg said a few. One to replace the broken one and others for the extra panels that are showing compromise," I name.

"Wouldn't hurt to grab extra on top of the extra in case of future disruptive system failures and we-"

"Okay, yeah, we get it. Here, Hana," Tara cuts Eugene off.

The distant sound of a silenced gun makes a noise before more rounds go off. Then, Glenn's voice-

"It's got armor. Let it come closer."

"Tara, Reg said it would be of help if we found an extra battery. Could you help me?" I ask.

"You know what you're looking for?" she asks, glancing to where the gun was still being fired.

I tug the note written by Reg out and hold it up for her viewing, "In detail."

"Sure," she nods, "Come on."

Eugene trails back around the aisle for the rest of the group as Tara and I go further back in the warehouse, her with the flashlight up as I scan the boxes to compare with Reg's letter.

"Aiden, stop!" Glenn shouts.

Tara and I look over just as Glenn tries to yell out again. But, he isn't fast enough as a blow of force blinds us with it's light, deafens with the sound, and sends everyone to the floor with it's power. My ears ring and I felt a pain in my side, covering myself as more boxes fall from the shelves onto Tara and I.