【58】

Walking to the mirror, I look at my own reflection. A reflection of myself that looked so different compared to the last time I saw myself- especially in such a clean mirror. 

A clean mirror for a clean body, I guess.

I run my hand through my hair that was past my shoulders once again, the ends a little uneven from where I tried to cut it myself last time when Maggie was on a run and I was bored. So soft.. Silky even.. This place was like a sanctuary.

There, I find just how soft my hands were and run my fingertips across my arm, neck, and face. I was becoming so used to the dirt, sweat, and grime of living on the road I forgot what it felt like to be this proper again.

My face, my body.. I hadn't had something so like the world before since it was the world before.

Those days of getting ready for school or tagging along with dad to his meetings.. Where had that little girl gone? 

She was shorter than me. Her hair like a weight on her small head. Her teeth were still coming in after losing them from her growing childhood. Her skin was paler- she didn't spend too much time in the sun unless at a baseball game. Her eyes were smaller, her hands, her chest, her arms.. 

Where had she gone in favor of the girl staring back at me now?

"Hana?" Rick knocks on the door.

"Yeah?" I question, snapping out of my thoughts.

"Whenever you're done, come on out. Someone is here to meet you."

I give an answer of exiting soon, quickly finishing brushing my teeth and getting dressed. Stepping out from the bathroom, Rick laughs at the cloud of steam that exits the room from the shower. But, he wasn't alone.

Rick holds his hand out, placing his palm on my back comfortingly and eases me to the new woman.

"This is Jessie. She said she can cut your hair if you want," he introduces.

The woman smiles prettily, her ponytail swishing around as she motions to her tools, "I come packing."

I glance to Rick and he gives a grin, patting my back with a whisper of, "It's okay. You're okay."

I give almost a pained look and he laughs, "I'll stay right here."

Glancing back to the woman, I nod. As she ushers me to sit down, I keep an eye on Rick to make sure he wouldn't leave. I could handle myself, but this new environment made me feel like I was stepping on a pit of lava, pins, needles, and screws. New people were terrifying and the last thing I wanted was to be left alone with one of them.

I jump when Jessie places a towel on my back, easing my hair on top to see better. My hands ball up in a fist as I can't see her in my eyesight- feeling like I'd turned my back on an enemy or something.

"Just a trim? Maybe cut some length?" she hums.

My eyes widen as she picks up a pair of scissors, stepping behind me again. My heart races and I feel the panic seep into my veins. When she delicately picks up a lock of my hair, I shoot up from my chair, spinning around to face her.

Jessie let out a startled 'whoa' at my actions and I take careful steps back, my eyes on the weapon- no.. scissors in her hand.

"Hana, hey, hey," Rick soothes, placing a warm hand on my shoulder, "You're okay."

"Where are Glenn and Taeyang?" I ask, just wanting to get out.

Rick frowns, rubbing my arm, "Down by the pantry. They're going on that trial run today."