I rub my eyes as I'd gotten dirt in them through the night where I slept beside Glenn's grave. Finally opening my eyes to the bright day, I'm caught off guard as I see that Rick was kneeling above me.

"Hey," is all I could say.

"Maggie said you fell asleep out here," he sighs, grabbing my hand and helping me sit up.

There, I notice the blanket that had been around me, though I didn't come out here with a blanket.

Rick's hand rubs the dirt off my back and hair, "She said that she woke up and you weren't there so everyone was looking for you. Taeyang was going to bring you to your trailer, but she said you came out here for a reason. The others and I just got here."

Through my still tired state, it was hard to put his words together in my head. There was one thing that stuck out, though. The others..

"Carl-"

"He's all right.. Negan brought him back home yesterday. He's here now," Rick assures.

I nod, relaxing at his words. Negan didn't lie- he really did bring Carl home.

"Hana.." Rick begins, "I.. I'm so sorry."

I hadn't seen Rick in so long I wasn't sure for a second just how many things he meant. Daniel's condition, the Saviors, being taken by them.. Then, I remembered where we were sitting.

My hand toys at the soft blanket over me that either Maggie or Taeyang brought and I stare at the blue cloth.

"I'm gonna kill him," I tell Rick, "Not you, not anyone else.. Me."

I glance up to him and I could tell he was recalling my past with the Governor as he gives a hesitant face.

"It's not like that," I shake my head, "I know what I'm doing now. My head is clear. I'm not gonna screw up like I did then."

Rick nods, rubbing the back of my hand, "I'll help you get there. But, you get the last hit."

I look to our hands, huffing out a breath that is followed by a dim smile, "Are we still injury buddies?"

Carson had rewrapped my hands last night, though they were doing much better than last month. But, there was a new wound on my right hand that I hadn't noticed until my shower. A cut near the heel of my palm and on my fingers where I'd broken the beer bottle and gripped so tightly. Rick seemed to have a new bandage on as well- the white material matching mine just as before. He hums a laugh, wrapping his hand around mine to hold on.

"Course we are," Rick agrees, "And as injury buddies, we gotta stick together."

--

"My Hairbo!" Michonne coos, delicately wrapping me in her arms.

"'Chonne, I'm not gonna break," I scoff, resting my head on her shoulder.

"No, I know.. I've just missed you so much," she frowns.

"I missed you, too," I murmur.

"All right, everyone listen up.." Rick announces to the group.

My eyes scan over those around- me, Michonne, Rick, Maggie, Taeyang, Ben, Jae, Daryl, Jessie, Sasha, Julie, James, Tara, Heath, Enid, Rosita, and Jesus.

Michonne keeps her arm around my shoulders, though we part from the hug to look at Rick.

"The Saviors will notice that Daryl and Hana are gone any second now. They'll search both here and Alexandria," he explains.

"So, we're sending a team out," Maggie speaks up, she and Rick trading a nod.

"A team?" Sasha repeats.

"Jesus has another group some of us are going to meet- we have a radio of theirs so we know when they're near. Daryl's coming with us," Rick continues.

"And me?" I wonder.

"You're a part of the second team," Rick points.

"I don't get it," I shake my head.

"We need numbers for this fight, so your team is going out to find said numbers. Supplies too while you're at it," Maggie clarifies, "It's safer if you keep moving and stay a bit far out until you have the numbers. Negan won't be able to find you."

"I-"

"I know, you're the one hunting him," Rick cuts me off, "But, I told you that I was getting you there. We have to have numbers before we can go in blindly at him. It's smarter and safer this way."

"So, I'm recruiting?" I make sure.

"Which is why Jae is going with you. He's got experience in it," Maggie points.

I felt better as I look to Jae who nods back to me.

"Just us?" I ask- though I already knew.

"Recruiting team is gonna be: Hana, Jae, Taeyang, Ben, Tara, Heath, and Daniel," Rick announces.

"Daniel?" I repeat, "He can't go. He's-"

"I'm still what?"

I jump, tearing from Michonne to turn around, spotting Doctor Carson and Daniel walking over- Daniel looking like himself again.

"I'm drugged up and healed, I'm ready to take on the world," Daniel scrunches his nose.

"You'll be taking the camper. More space and it's easier on Daniel just in case. But, he's shown excellent progress the past few days. As long as he isn't frontline and can take breaks, he's good to go," Carson assures.

"And with Ron being with the Saviors, it's best to keep our numbers here at Hilltop low. Maggie, Jessie, Enid, Sasha, Julie, and James have escape and hideout plans set whenever they show up," Rick adds.

"I leave for a day and you people switch everything around on me," I scoff.

"We're just being safe," Rick reminds, "And.. personally, some of agreed that it would be good for you to have some time out there. Keep away from the Saviors, Negan- until it's time, and give yourself a break."

I look to Maggie, ready for another argument. I couldn't leave her- I had to be here to protect her and the baby.

"I have Enid, Jessie, Sasha, Julie, James, Jesus.. Everyone here," she beats me to it, "I'll be fine. Y'all won't be gone long, anyway."

By my other side, Taeyang's hand slips into mine, "If too many of us stay here, it's risky. We could get caught a lot easier. If we're out there, we're getting more people to help us fight and we're farther from the Saviors so they don't catch you again."

Around us, I could see most of the group with hopeful, oblivious eyes. They knew Taeyang was the best bet to talk sense into me even if they didn't know what he was saying. Hell, it's happened before.

"And we'll all be together. It'll be like the old days," he adds with a smile.

Find more people to tilt the odds in our favor.. Safe from being caught again after the escape from Sanctuary.. Time away from the sympathetic eyes and words.. 

Time with some of my favorite people on the road- just like I'd been missing. Just like I told Glenn.

"Okay," I sigh.

Rick claps his hands once, rubbing his hands together after, "Good. You should all get packed up. You have a big run coming."

--

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

WHOS READY FOR MAKNAE SHENANIGANS LIKE THE OLD DAYS
+tara and heath

ALL THE EMOTIONS AND ALL THE CHAOS