Chapter 1 : My ruined day

I woke up today with every intention of having a good day. Until I saw both my brothers scribbling over my white walls with green and blue crayons.

"Mat! Bobby! What are you both doing??" I shouted, sitting upright on my bed. The four year olds looked at me with toothy grins and giggled, running out of my room as fast as their stupid little legs could carry them.

I groaned, covering my head and with my pillow and trying to sink into the mattresses. There goes my good day
My alarm rang
Ah...there it goes again.

Turning my alarm off, I decided to get ready for the day. It was around 7am and I didn't have to go to college till around 8:30, so I had time to kill.

After a quick shower and outfit change, I decided to go for breakfast.
Matthew and Bobby ran past me, holding toy planes and making zoom zoom sounds.

I grabbed Bobby, placing him on my lap, "You really think you could get away with it?" I whispered in his ear. I proceeded to tickle his toes until he begged for mercy. Matthew tried to push me away from Bobby but I was laughing too hard to notice his valiant efforts.

I finally put my newly scared for life brother down and watched as he sprinted away from me.
It's not like I didn't love my brothers. I loved the little demons. But as their sister, I believe it is my sacred right to petrify them as much as I can.

Bobby took cover behind his mother. Helen stood near the kitchen door, a large spatula in her hand as she looked utterly confused as to what was happening.
Her hair, as usual was in a tight bun, with its red highlights tucked away gently.
She reached down and patted Bobby, who then happily went back to play with his twin brother.

"Annabeth," she greeted with a nod," Would you like some pancakes?" she asked.

I nodded, "that'd be nice. Thank you."

With another nod and a smile, Helen went back into the kitchen to make a batch of pancakes.

Here's something you should  know about Helen and I.
We have a complicated relationship.
We have mutual respect for each other and understand that us having a working relationship is important to Bobby, Matthew and my father.

I wouldn't say we were close.

When she first came into my life, I was still grieving the loss of my mother and had just lost my best friends and my brother. I had said things I couldn't take back and she also said things I'm sure she regrets.

However, we both try to make our relationship work the best we can. And it's not like I hate her. I do care for her and I know she does too.
Neither of us can show it properly.

Matthew retuned to the dining room, wearing one of my medals.

"Matty!" I complained as I chased him around, "Give that back!"

The particular medal of mine he was wearing was from the first swimming competition I won.

I chased my brother around until Bobby emerged from hell with my archery trophy in his hands. It was bigger than him and he wobbled a bit, but still had a firm grip on it.

"Helen!" I shouted, as I chased both of them around. They giggled and ran as fast as they could. Helen ran from the kitchen and took one good look at the scene.
She scooped up Matthew and made him return the medal and together we ran after Bobby until he realised he had been cornered and returned my trophy.

"Thanks," I huffed. I then put my trinkets back in the showcase. My eyes caught the big trophy that sat in the center.

First prize: Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase