Permanent Consequences

Start from the beginning

I had him move his hand so I could double-check. Okay he was telling the truth it doesn't look that bad, but damn, "you still should have told me."

"So you could worry over nothing?"

"Yes," I said back, staring him down.

He just rolled his eyes and leaned his head on my shoulder. "I love you," his words were whispered. The relief I felt in those words, the safety. We lived, he lived.

"We made it," I breathed out leaning my head against his.

Someone walked over to us and I instantly picked my head back up and felt every muscle in my body tense up. I don't care how overused my powers are or how much backlash I face if they think they can come over and hurt them. I will roast them alive until they are nothing but ashes on the floor.

It was a young woman, maybe in her early twenties at most. Her face was expressionless as she stopped standing just before us. She looked down at Eren and Levi before her eyes looked up at me, "are they okay?" she asked her voice soft but her face still remained unreadable.

"They will be okay, they just overdid it," Marco explained, not going into too much detail.

"Overdid it?" she asked her brows knitting together and her head slightly tilted to the left.

"They overused their powers," Marco said again, hoping that would be enough to clear up her confusion.

"You can overuse powers?" She seemed very confused. Do ordinary people really know this little about powers? Then again I can't really say much. Before all this started we didn't know that we could overuse them either, but that's because no one had to use them this much. I mean there were a few rare cases, but we never knew it could get this bad.

"Yes, and it hurts very badly and sometimes can have permanent effects," I explained looking down at my own hands. One was placed on the back of Eren's head and the other on Levi's back. I still couldn't feel where they touched their bodies, but I knew they could feel it even if they weren't conscious they still might be able to feel the comforting touch of their friend.

She sat down on the floor across from us. My muscles tensed with how close she was sitting to Eren and Levi. Her eyes glanced down at them and then back to me and she scooted back a little seeming to get that I wasn't comfortable with how close she was.

My muscles relaxed a little at the gesture. She wasn't here to harm them. I guess she just was genuinely curious. "Do you mind explaining to me, I want to understand."

I looked over to Marco hoping he would take the lead on this one since I'm not the best when it comes to talking to people. God, why couldn't Eren be awake he was the brains here, or Levi, he was the one good with people's thoughts.

"That's all you," Marco said back and I was about to mentally curse him out when he looked down at my hands, "between the two of us you have more experience."

I hate it when he's right. "Uh well, what do you want to know? Just how they can have permanent effects or-?" I let my voice trail off. I wasn't sure exactly what she wanted me to explain.

"Everything, I mean everything I thought I knew about you was a lie told to me by the government. I want to know the truth, I want to understand. They were obviously wrong about you all, you just risked your lives to save us. The least I could do is learn, help spread the truth."

Apparently, this caught the attention of a few other people as they sat behind her quietly wanting nothing more than to listen. So many eyes on me the more people who stared at me the more I felt my chest tighten. How was I supposed to talk to this many people? What if I say something wrong? What if I fuck up?