72: The Day I Used My Own Weapon

Start from the beginning

"Yes sir?"

"Watch Geno, okay? I need to go back to Biya." I told her and she nodded. I went out of the room while she entered but before I could close the door, she whispered.

"Will Signorina Biya be okay?"

"She will be." I smiled but my heart broke at the thought of her still in the hospital. There was sympathy in her eyes but I didn't comment on that. I nodded at her, whispered my goodbye and closed the door for her. Walking to the kitchen, I could smell the pasta wafting in the air. Sam busied herself with whatever she was cooking. I checked the time and it was almost 12 in the afternoon. I paced across the hallway, agitated of not being in the hospital right now. I have never received any call from them. It worried me to the death and the silence was killing me. I have to go...

"Sir? Sir." Marcus tapped me by the shoulder. I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Yes?"

"I can drive you back to the hospital now if you want. I can come back here and take the food later."

"That sounds like a good plan. Let's go."

A few minutes later, we were back in the hospital. The media has already set camp outside and I had to to use the emergency exit just to avoid them. Patients and medical staff had their eyes trained on me but I ignored them and went straight to where Biya was. But my steps came to a stop when I saw the two people I didn't want to see right now: Dotoressa O'Brien and her son, Zeke. She gasped the moment she saw me and Zeke turned to see me. He spoke to his mother a few more seconds before he left. He didn't leave though without shooting me a warning glance. I scowled at him. What the fuck is he doing here?

"Mr. Carini." The owner of the hospital called my attention. I took a deep breath not wanting to get my emotions take over my senses.

"Yes? How is Biya?" I asked approaching her.

"She's still in the OR."

"That bad?" She nodded before sighing,

"Does her parents know?" I spoke in a low tone. She sighed but nodded.

"How bad is it?"

"We had to revive her twice now. Multiple lacerations all over her body, broken ribs, internal bleeding, a muscle tear on her shoulder..." She looked down and played with fingers.

"What is it? Tell me everything now, Doctor." I demanded and she looked around. Everybody was paying attention to us and she bit her lip.

"Ignore them. I need to know. What is it? Tell me now." I began to demand and she looked at me with deep sadness in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Carini. She has trauma in the head as well as broken bones in her legs. And..." She sighed before she looked directly into my eyes.

"She has spinal injuries. We are still looking at her but those are the initial diagnosis."

"So what happens to her now?" My voice cracked and avoided everyone's gaze. Even her. I stared at the floor trying to control myself from shaking.

"We don't know yet but there's a possibility of her not being able to walk again." I went weak and my feet faltered into staggering steps. I looked at her in horror. There was sympathy in her eyes. I wish this was all a dream but the loud noises around, the pain in my heart and reality hit me all at once.

"No. This can't be." I whispered in disbelief but she shook her head.

"Unfortunately, it's true, Sir. I'm so sorry." She rubbed my shoulder trying to bring comfort but I couldn't. I tried to search for words and explanation as to why this was happening but I couldn't. My chest was in pain and I felt like I was being deprived with oxygen.