There's Only So Much Time

The Dining Room (Sunday, May 7th) (10:30 AM) (Jake's Perspective)
"Mom, we have a dance coming up." My sister Kenzie said.
"Really?"
"Mhm. We held a vote over which end-of-year activities should be held and the people really wanted a dance. It's going to have a glow-in-the-dark theme. We're coordinating it right now and raising money for it."
"That's amazing, Kenz! I'm proud of you for coming out of your shell and using your skills towards something good."
"Thank you." She said quietly.
"Speaking of dances, Jake have you asked anyone to prom?" Ever since the conversation with the guys I've been thinking of ways to ask Bella, but I get nervous or scrap the idea.
"Probably Bella." Mom said.
"No, I haven't asked anyone yet."
"You haven't?! Prom is in a few weeks, Jake."
"Yeah... I know."
"Do you have anyone in mind that you'd ask?!"
"Just Bella. That's it."
"So then why didn't you ask her? You know that she likes you."
"I just don't know how. That's why."
**********************
Hannah's Bedroom (12:45 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
"What's that?" I asked while stepping into Hannah's room. She picked up the poster.
"I was waiting to tell you in person, but Knox asked me to prom yesterday!" She said with the biggest smile.
"Really?" It looks like everyone's being asked to prom. The other day, Sapphire got asked by Ethan and that means that everyone else secured a date to prom...but me. I need to stop pitying myself like this.
"It was so cute! His poster was kind of corny...but that's what made it sweet." She showed me it.
"It is kind of corny! But it sounds like something he'd do."
"Mhm!" She said while putting on some chapstick.
"Sooo, did Jake ask you and you just didn't tell us?"
"What do you mean?"
"He hasn't asked you to prom, yet?! I swear, I'm going to get Knox to talk some sense into him, prom is in a few weeks."
"Aww, I don't want to rush him. It's okay."
"No it isn't, he and Brayden are in a stalemate. That's why you're not getting asked."
"What do you mean?!"
"You don't know.."
"No."
"That kind of makes sense. You've been kind of off lately so you probably didn't pick up on it, but Brayden wants to ask you to prom and Jake does too. They're both not making a move to test the other." What?! Brayden suddenly wants to ask me to prom? We barely even talk these days, our schedules are so different, and he acted kind of weird with me the other day.

"This place is cool. Thanks for bringing me here."
"No problem." He skated in front of me. We were at this skatepark near his house. I didn't tell anyone that I was going here, mainly because I was tired of being bothered.
"I'm going to sit here for a sec." He watched as I started to paint.
"What's that?"
"I'm not sure yet."
"It looks pretty cute."
"Thanks."I flashed a smile and he sat next to me. He put his arms around my shoulder and after a while, I felt his hand treading towards my breasts as I painted. What is he doing? I thought. As he began to feel them, I froze. I didn't stop him, I didn't tell him no, so now he probably thinks I liked it.
Mom: Bella, where are you?? I'm at the precinct waiting for you.
"What's wrong, Bella?" He asked, noticing the distress on my face.
"Mom's catching onto me, um, rain check?" I ran off as quickly as I could. Mom couldn't have texted at a better time. As I walked to the precinct I felt gross and humiliated. I just sat there and let it happen to me. I deserved it.

"Sorry. They're being dumb! Why don't they just ask me or something, instead of wasting time? I'd hate to go to prom without a date."
"I get what you're saying. It's petty, if they asked it'd all be over. But I guess they just want to be dickheads about it. If things go south though, you could always go to prom with Jon."
"I thought Jon was asking Ava?"
"He's been pretty shy, so I don't know if that's happening any time soon." We both laughed. I wonder if I should just ask Jake to prom myself. No, maybe he should ask me, right?
********************
Rite-Aid (Monday, May 8th) (938 Lexington Ave.) (Jake's Perspective)
I need to ask Bella to prom before Brayden gets to her. I've spent the last couple of days thinking about how I'd ask her, I think I finally know what I want to do now though. I walked into Rite Aid and headed straight towards the arts and crafts aisle.
"Okay, I'm going to need some of those stick-on letters. My handwriting is trash." I picked up some poster paper, markers, glue, and black letters from the aisle.
"Do you need anything?" I pulled out my AirPods and looked up at the sales associate.
"Uh, sorry no. I'm just about to go to the cashier and pay for this stuff." She smiled and continued to work. Okay???
"Good luck on that! I hope she says yes!"
"Thanks." I didn't realize that it was so obvious. Why couldn't she assume that I was coming here because I had a project or something? Whatever, let me just get the stuff so that I could put it all together. I went on the line and blasted some Uzi to keep me occupied. It was going very well until-
"Hey!!" Preston knocked the wind out of me.
"The fuck is wrong with you?? You can't just say hello like a normal person?!"
"Damn, well I'm sorry." He helped me pick up the stuff and he laughed.
"Since when were you into arts and crafts? Bella's changed you."
"Please. I'll never be into arts and crafts."
"Sure. What are you going with all of this stuff though?" He asked me.
"If I tell you, you have to promise to not tell anyone. Please."
"Of course! When have I ever failed you?"
"Don't get me started." We moved up in the line and I let out a breath.
"I'm making a poster to ask Bella to prom."
"Oh, a promposal. She has changed you."
"Shut up. You're only saying this because you have a guaranteed "yes" to prom. Not everyone is as lucky as you."
"You and Bella could've been dating for a while now if you had just listened to me." I rolled my eyes.
"Next customer, please!"
^^^^^^^^^
3rd Avenue (5:09 PM)